74 TY 250 A and Dunlop Tubeless 803R18???

Tillerman6

Here we go again? 

What are your thoughts about mounting a tubeless Dunlop 803GP T   tire on the rear (tube type) (twinshock DID rim??)

When I ordered it- the web page said it was "tube type" but when it arrived, the words "tubeless" were moulded into the sidewall rubber. 

Here is the link to the website: https://www.chapmoto.com/dunlop-d803gp-trials-rear-tire.html

I have not tried to mount it yet, and I'm still well within the 30 day returns limit from the vendor.

I have a 21" 803GPF mounted on the front and it says "tube type" and I had no problems with it- it has a tube in it and works just fine.

Did Dunlop stop making the 803 series rear tires in the 18" tube type model? It also says it's a "radial tire"

Does anyone have experience - good or bad with mounting a tubless tire on a tube type "DID" rim?

Advice/ suggestions?

As far as I know Dunlop only make tubeless rear tyres. Front is always tubed type so no problem.

I use Tubeliss to mont tubeless Dunlops on old rims, sometimes running as low as 0,25bar (normally 0,3bar)

I would keep the tyre and buy a Tubeliss. No traditional inner tube is needed. Tubeliss costs around 100 eur but is well worth it. However they making mounting  little more difficult. Several of my classic trials friends also use Tubeliss and I have not heard of any problem. In case you want to compete, I am not sure they are allowed everywhere.?

I was using  IRC tr11 before but I think Dunlop is more of an "all rounder" .My experience is that  Dunlop 803GP is a much better trials tyre then the older Dunlop 803.

I recent years I have been using IRC tr11 , Michelin Competition /X-light  and Dunlop 803/803GP on modern and classic bikes  At the moment I am happy with the 803GP.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't want to risk tearing up the tire or the rim or me.  the rim would have to be modified to make a tubeless tire work and it is so much taller than the front it would look out of place on the bike.  I'm just waiting for the vendor to process my refund request. it was their mistake not mine.  I just wish I had known about this problem before I ordered it.

10 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

Thanks for the advice, but I don't want to risk tearing up the tire or the rim or me.  the rim would have to be modified to make a tubeless tire work and it is so much taller than the front it would look out of place on the bike.  I'm just waiting for the vendor to process my refund request. it was their mistake not mine.  I just wish I had known about this problem before I ordered it.

The TR11 tube type is a better bet, it's also a radial and is the same size as the Dunlop you have. Dunlop does make tube type Trials tires but the D908 has always been tubeless only.

Edited by motovita

So what are the advantages of a "radial" tire?  I know that tube less is not going to work and I need a trials tire to be able to get into some novice vintage events for my 74 TY 250A.

It also has to work with the Dunlop 803 GPF -21 that is on the front end.  That tire is a tube type for sure- the words are made into the side wall rubber.

This is getting confusing- I was back on the Chapparral web site and looked up the TR-11 tire there and it said it was "tubeless" again.  Does IRC make both tubeless and tube types in the TR-11?

8 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

So what are the advantages of a "radial" tire?  I know that tube less is not going to work and I need a trials tire to be able to get into some novice vintage events for my 74 TY 250A.

It also has to work with the Dunlop 803 GPF -21 that is on the front end.  That tire is a tube type for sure- the words are made into the side wall rubber.

This is getting confusing- I was back on the Chapparral web site and looked up the TR-11 tire there and it said it was "tubeless" again.  Does IRC make both tubeless and tube types in the TR-11?

Yes

12 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

If you call Chapparral I imagine they can drop ship you one.

I run a tubeless Dunlop 803GP tire with tube on an OEM TY175 rim.  It fits and works with no problems.  A riding buddy runs them also.  He did mention that the tire does seem to turn on the rim over time.