Strange 349 tank cover?

fox889

In the process of painting my '84 349 tank cover, look carefully at the front where it secures to the frame.

On all the photo's I've looked at, the tanks/covers are held in with a bolt that goes through the tank itself, on mine, it looks like the tank simply 'hooks' over mounting lugs.

It's a fibreglass tank cover that sits over an alloy tank.

I did think has someone broken the front of the tank & merely 'chopped' it about, but the curves on the top right of the photo look standard.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

ADXs2gqwQtC+kkOl5Czs%w.jpg

It's a cover from an earlier 349, the MK3 white model '81, not an '84, the last MK4 349 from 82-84 had a plastic tank, also with flat sides, no molding behind where the round Montesa badge fits.

But yes, someone has just cut it to slip over the bolt

• Like 1

I wish I had proof read my original thread, yes it’s an ‘81 as I checked the engine & frame numbers to make sure. I’ve also got an ‘84 242 & that’s where my typo was......operator error as they say.😳

ok, what do I do now then? I can fibreglass over the void, play about with filler & try & make good, then carefully drill a hole?

I was convinced it was a standard fitment because of the curves at the top & made sense that something as simple as a cover would simply sit over the alloy tank & loop over a fixing at the headstock area? Looking on the ‘net I couldn’t find anything similar so I had my doubts!

the tank is still in primer so any other remedial work can still be done.

thanks for your reply.

968CD75D-AA1C-4914-9582-756FFC6FC8BF.jpeg

If you leave it as it is it can't the bolt should still secure it as it is also held with the straps below the seat -  but to repair it I'd fill with fibreglass resin and make solid again, then re-drill the holes

3 minutes ago, woody said:

If you leave it as it is it can't the bolt should still secure it as it is also held with the straps below the seat -  but to repair it I'd fill with fibreglass resin and make solid again, then re-drill the holes

While it’s still in primer I’ve started to reinforce the void with fibreglass then fill with filler & if I’m careful I should be able to drill a hole 😳

Is there way to put a washer in the resin to reinforce it?  Without something sturdy I suspect it'll go again ... mines cracked there but still mostly intact, but it's noticeable that the fibreglass is wider than the frame so if you do the bolt up tight it gets squeezed (which is probably why mines cracked).

2 hours ago, turbofurball said:

Is there way to put a washer in the resin to reinforce it?  Without something sturdy I suspect it'll go again ... mines cracked there but still mostly intact, but it's noticeable that the fibreglass is wider than the frame so if you do the bolt up tight it gets squeezed (which is probably why mines cracked).

I’ve reinforced the front/inner of the tank cover with 5 layers of fibreglass, this a) makes the area rock hard and b) lessens the gap slightly between the tank & the frame. I think you’re spot on, that years of tightening the holding nut’n’bolt caused the initial damage. My aim is to bridge the gap further with a few pieces of old inner tube, it’ll be hidden from view & just the merest amount of nipping up will suffice!

• Like 1