Chromed brake hub

Lee halsall

A close examination of my front hub shows the chrome off in a couple of places . Not having come across chroming brake hubs ,I wondered how bad are these patches ? How long will the rest of the  lining last ? Strangely, the rear brake has a steel liner .

44C190C0-07B1-4A3A-B488-4CDAECBC6F4B.jpeg

2 hours ago, Lee halsall said:

Do you know of hubs in the same condition as mine lasting a few years ?

I believe the quality of chrome was inconsistent, some flanked off within months. Keep an eye on it, it may be fine. 

Edited by b40rt

To have so little flaking after all these years, you have got a good one. One of mine on a 1975 bike is still perfect while another on a 1978 bike was terrible and had to have a liner fitted.

From memory your bike is a 115 or 116 which may have the type of rear hub that came with a ferrous liner from new.

Thanks for that 👍fully re assured , I’ll go ahead and get it rebuilt. It was only when I wiped the drum out properly after polishing up the outer that I spotted the two areas that were close to the inner edge .I was going to buy spokes from inmotion and re spoke it  , then I found out that spokes weren’t available for the 140 mm hub .