Help identify frame

greevesman

Help needed to identify Villiers engined frame ,thought it might be Cheetah  but after asking some Cheetah owners we don't think it is .

Main frame looks similar but swinging arm and wheel adjuster are completely different ,

Any help would greatly appreciated in trying to identify what it is 

IMG_20210329_151817.jpg

IMG_20210328_135220604.jpg

IMG_20210329_194145.jpg

greevesman is this the bike the cylinder came from that you are asking about here on TC? If it is post a photo of all the parts together including tank and exhaust, bit more to go on then. Interesting looking frame though.

Edited by trialsrfun

7 hours ago, trialsrfun said:

greevesman is this the bike the cylinder came from that you are asking about here on TC? If it is post a photo of all the parts together including tank and exhaust, bit more to go on then. Interesting looking frame though.

Hi yes same bike , cannot find number anywhere on frame ,some photos of parts that came with bike ,barrel,gearbox ,well rusty alpha crank ,concentric carb with unusual air filter setup ,exhaust silencer ,alloy tank looks BSA? no crank cases .

IMG_20210331_171803968.jpg

IMG_20210331_171814110.jpg

IMG_20210331_171851491.jpg

IMG_20210331_171917301.jpg

IMG_20210331_171939470.jpg

IMG_20210331_171902969.jpg

IMG_20210331_171911636.jpg

Hi Greevesman,

Well hopefully someone may yet come forward with details of the frame maker but either way you have an interesting bike that is well worth restoring.

Crank cases can be found or are available from Villiers Services new or possibly s/h Villiers Services, The largest stock of Villiers spares in the World or Cotton Villiers cottonvilliersspares.co.uk

The Alpha crank may well be serviceable also

If you do not have a cylinder head one from any of the aftermarket alloy cylinders can be fitted as the stud spacing is the same for all of them

Forks appear to be Ceriani rear hub possibly Triumph Cub but its difficult to tell from the photos which do not really show it, wild guess for the front hub which is barely visible Husqvarna???

Mudguard stay is very similar to the Greeves one fitted to some Anglian models with Ceriani forks or the Greeves alloy beam MX models as well as the Griffon.

If it were my bike I would do a rolling rebuild just clean and tidy everything and up take the motor to one of the above for a rebore as well as all the bits needed.

Can't find frame number anywhere on bike.Couple of photos of hubs they are  conical hubs and look the same.

I have managed to get a completely rebuilt 37A engine with trials gearbox from friend and I have a Parkinson head coming and hopefully get it shaped to fit barrel.At the moment barrel is on +60 and needs rebore Villiers services do a +80 piston so might go that way.

Will be selling the rest of parts to help fund new engine .

Simon

IMG_20210401_140934210.jpg

IMG_20210401_140943665.jpg

Yup, me too on the AJS 37A-T, always a good weekend. doesn't help with identifying your frame though, that swing arm design is interesting, and the method of chain adjustment/clamping the spindle. Definitely not Cheetah, had one until recently, (it'll be at Priddy), Greevesrob suggested Kyffin Sapphire, I've never seen one in the flesh, only a picture from a sales brochure (on the Otter website I think?) but could be. Elstar built a few trials frame too I believe, again check out the Otter BSA website, lots of good info on there.

Jeff 

• 1 month later...

Can now confirm the that this frame is a Villiers engine Burian built by  John  Banks BSA works rider in 1965, it was confirmed by Trevor Andrews who owned the bike in the early 70s  and spoke to John this evening and he told me some history .

The hubs are early Husqvarna and engine was Villiers with Challenger barrell.

Doug Theobald road a bantam engined Burian and there is a photo of him on the bike in this forum by Deryk Wylde 

So it looks to be a rare bike not many made and I don't know if there are any around ( I'm sure there must be )