Help identify frame

greevesman

On 5/12/2021 at 9:33 PM, greevesman said:

Can now confirm the that this frame is a Villiers engine Burian built by  John  Banks BSA works rider in 1965, it was confirmed by Trevor Andrews who owned the bike in the early 70s  and spoke to John this evening and he told me some history .

The hubs are early Husqvarna and engine was Villiers with Challenger barrell.

Doug Theobald road a bantam engined Burian and there is a photo of him on the bike in this forum by Deryk Wylde 

So it looks to be a rare bike not many made and I don't know if there are any around ( I'm sure there must be ) 

On 4/1/2021 at 12:25 PM, trialsrfun said:

Hi Greevesman,

Well hopefully someone may yet come forward with details of the frame maker but either way you have an interesting bike that is well worth restoring.

Crank cases can be found or are available from Villiers Services new or possibly s/h Villiers Services, The largest stock of Villiers spares in the World or Cotton Villiers cottonvilliersspares.co.uk

The Alpha crank may well be serviceable also

If you do not have a cylinder head one from any of the aftermarket alloy cylinders can be fitted as the stud spacing is the same for all of them

Forks appear to be Ceriani rear hub possibly Triumph Cub but its difficult to tell from the photos which do not really show it, wild guess for the front hub which is barely visible Husqvarna???

Mudguard stay is very similar to the Greeves one fitted to some Anglian models with Ceriani forks or the Greeves alloy beam MX models as well as the Griffon.

If it were my bike I would do a rolling rebuild just clean and tidy everything and up take the motor to one of the above for a rebore as well as all the bits needed.

Pleased that you have found the make of your bike also that I correctly identified both the front hub and cylinder. Hope you restore and ride it, be good if you can post pictures here on tc of the finished machine.

John Banks is best known as a world championship moto cross rider for BSA though I understand that earlier in his riding career he rode a DOT.

Looking at the main frame loop and lower subframe on your bike the design is very similar to a DOT though the DOT bikes made around that time used square tube for the main frame loop.