Gas Gas 13 raga 300.

GING79

Hi all was wonder if anyone could help me.

I took my bike out today and my exhaust set on fire I'll need to buy a few parts to mend the damage. Was just wondering if anyone might know the cause or reason this could have happend. The plastic cover (tip) has a big hole in it so this will need replacing and the packing will need to be changed. Just wondered if anyone has heard of this before of have had this happen. I personally have never come across this. Tia.

Edited by GING79

On 4/2/2021 at 2:42 PM, mbeers6 said:

My guess is excess carbon buildup in the mid pipe of the exhaust. Were you riding for extended period at higher RPM like on a fire road? That will definitely heat up the goo in the mid box.

^^^Agree^^^ Were you following Ronnie Mac?

• Like 1

Sounds like the excess oil in the exhaust set on fire, an hole may have provided a path for the required oxygen to get in so the oil carbon goo could combust at a high enough temperature.

You often see trials bikes smoking from the exhaust quite badly when they have not had a good run in a while. The excess oil in the fuel mixture builds up inside the exhaust during steady riding, then when the bike is revved hard under load, or taken on a long run, the temperature in the exhaust increases and that excess oil carbon goo begins to smoulder. Assuming there is no fuel getting in there somehow, if the exhaust gets hot enough and there is sufficient oxygen I guess the oil could ignite.

Adding too much oil to the fuel mix or the fuel air mixture not set correctly can cause more than normal excess build up in the exhaust, though if the fuel air mixture is set too rich you would normally notice this in the bike performance . Also its worth just giving the bike a regular long run on a track or road for a few miles in a high gear so that the excess oil can be burned out. Repacking the exhaust on a more regular basis can also be useful for both the excess oil issue and bike performance.       

• Like 1

Thank you all it has all been take in. Just waiting on the parts ariving to fix my bike. I was giving it some to get to my riding spot also as said in a reply my bike gad been stood a while whith all this madness going on. Filter, new plug, Packing and exhaust tip in the post 👌👍. Might as we give it a service whilst its out of action thank you all.