acceptable boots

Samtheman1989

im new to the sport and got my first trial coming up soon. at the moment I don't own a pair of trials or any other type of motorcycle boot. I asked the club chairman if a pair of hiking type ankle high boots would be ok and he quoted me this from the acu rule book, TSR.12 clothing must cover legs and body and it is recommended that arms should be covered.boots of approximately knee length made of leather, rubber or plastic must be worn.

does this mean I will get away with my work wellies (neoprene and rubber) until I get round to buying a proper pair of boots ? 

thanks in advance 

Builders site wellies are fine to start with. Those with steel toe caps and the fine ribs along the top of the foot and up the front. They give decent protection for if you bash your shins ( footrests bloody hurt !) and also if you end up with your foot/leg trapped under or next to the bike which can be quite a regular thing, particularly as a beginner. They’re not the best thing for ‘feel’, particularly on the brake pedal, but do the job. In years gone by those wellies were sold in bike shops as ‘Dunlop trials wellies’. Oh how times change. 
Have fun. 

• Like 2

I did my first few events with a pair of Lidl motorbike boots that I got off ebay for £5.  They completely fell part, so I invested in Forma Boulders which (once broken in and properly oiled) have saved my ankles and shins many times and are still going strong ... also, they give good support to the soles of my feet whereas some other road bike boots flex around the pegs too much to be comfortable after a while.

• Like 1

Boots are also a safety device. If you are serious about trials riding. Get yourself a pair of proper trials boots. You won´t regret it. Some are little cheaper then others.......like Wulfsport, or to keep cost down perhaps you can find a pair of 2nd hand that are OK.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I got another pair of Forma Boulders second hand in near-new condition a while back, too (for when my originals give out), and that was a good way to get them cheaply - thanks for the reminder Carl :)

If it's of any interest, I have a pair of Forma Boulder boots for sale. Size Euro 45 in excellent condition £100 plus postage.

Also got a Nau N400 Zona XL 61/62 helmet in good condition £35 plus postage

If you need photo's, please PM your e mail address.

• 5 months later...