Snatchy Clutch on 2020 EVO Factory

twowheels

Not something I thought too much of until I rode the Vertigo Vertical we just got in the shop. Still, the clutch on the Beta seems to engage quickly/hard even with a determined effort to feed it in very precisely. Because it's the Factory EVO it already has the good plates spec'd - could this be mitigated by changing from the Motul TransOil Expert 10w40 to a different fluid? Swapping clutch springs?

I'd try a fully synthetic light gear oil w75.  10 w40 sounds a bit too heavy for a modern trials bike gearbox. 

My mate has a 2021 factory Beta and that clutch was snatchy until we changed the oil and it is better now, but still not as smooth as my Gas Gas.

• Like 2

There's a pdf out there somewhere that details 5 or 6 ways of configuring the factory clutch.

The most progressive configuration has the top hat spaces turned to reduce the spring preload and the two thicker plates swapped out for thin ones. 

The oil can make a difference but brands seem to make as much difference as grades.

Edited by totty79
  • Like 1

I’d want to see the plates before I assumed they were “good”. It’s been decades that Beta have been saying “improved” clutch. And each was a half hearted fix that didn’t address the real issues. See the clutch fix thread pinned to the top of this forum.

• 2 years later...
On 4/5/2021 at 1:31 PM, totty79 said:

There's a pdf out there somewhere that details 5 or 6 ways of configuring the factory clutch.

The most progressive configuration has the top hat spaces turned to reduce the spring preload and the two thicker plates swapped out for thin ones. 

The oil can make a difference but brands seem to make as much difference as grades.

Can someone please upload or send me a link to this pdf how to configure the factory clutch?

I took the clutch apart on my 2022 Factory 125 Evo to clean all the glue and dremel the edges of the tabs:  I've put the plates + steel discs in the order they were installed in a box, but my kiddo knocked them down, and I can't find anywhere how the edges of the two special steel plates with an edge 8(that are only in factory edition) should be turned: inside or outside. Any help would be appreciated.

20230716_154332.thumb.jpg.7c5672c06a9945f29369b00d8652e8f4.jpg

Edited by svobodna

Page 40 of the service manual that you can download free from betausa

2.7mm for the inside 4 plates, 3mm for the 2 cork plates on the outside of the clutch pack as per the parts diagram

(corks install order is ->  fat, thin, thin, thin, thin, fat)

Edited by lemur

On 9/26/2023 at 2:14 PM, lemur said:

Page 40 of the service manual that you can download free from betausa

2.7mm for the inside 4 plates, 3mm for the 2 cork plates on the outside of the clutch pack as per the parts diagram

(corks install order is ->  fat, thin, thin, thin, thin, fat)

I think I was not specific enough in my question. The order of the clutch plates is not a problem. Factory has two special steel discs with an edge, and I don't know on which side the edge goes, towards the cover or inside. 

Edited by svobodna