What I’ve learned so far! (As a beginner).

haggetty

I'm just in the process of encouraging a mate of mine to take the plunge and have a go himself. He has been into motor bikes all his life in some form or another, but has never rode a trials bike before. In fact he often remarks that its boring. It may well be when spectating at times, but like lots of other sports the excitement often comes from doing it rather than watching.

Trials is probably one of, if not the cheapest, safest, off road motorsports you can do. Its accessible for all ages and all abilities and can be as challenging as you want it to be, from riding round a grassy field all the way to jumping up 8 foot rocks on the back wheel. When people do take the plunge and have a go themselves the realisation of how skilful and how physical trials can be is either a shock or a light bulb moment for them.

Most clubs offer multiple routes that caters for the whole family if you like, and the beauty is you quickly see progress in your ability the more you ride and the more people you ride with. 

Well done to you for taking up the sport! Welcome to the family, and I hope you have many years of happy riding. Oh and the static balancing and the wheel hoping takes loads of practice and time to master (especially for the more mature person, no offense) but stick at it and you will get there!!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Intotrials said:

Well done to you for taking up the sport! Welcome to the family, and I hope you have many years of happy riding. Oh and the static balancing and the wheel hoping takes loads of practice and time to master (especially for the more mature person, no offense) but stick at it and you will get there!!

Thanks for your smashing reply. Much appreciated. 
I put together this little vid of my second hour on the bike.  I had a go at some stuff that I found a little daunting to look at (and the camera makes look small of course!)  Climbs, rocks etc. Apart from looking like a sack of spuds I don’t think it looked too bad - and I managed not to fall off either!! Watching tutorials on YouTube helps enormously when practicing techniques. At least you know what you’re attempting should look like! 
Wheelies and balancing next!

Edited by haggetty
  • Thanks 1

Well, for a beginner you look nice and smooth and your technique looks good! Not a sack of spuds at all! 

keep watching the videos and if you get to ride out with other people especially a few that are a little more advanced you will soon pick up more technique and more importantly the confidence to have a go at more challenging stuff!

well done and keep riding and keep smiling 💪

1 minute ago, Intotrials said:

well done and keep riding and keep smiling 💪

Thanks for your encouraging words. I’m sure when I’ve been at the club for a bit I’ll knock around with a few riders and learn loads. I intend to watch at a few comps, and enter a few too to get a feel as to what you need to be able to master in order to complete novice sections.

It’s a journey and I just want to be able to enjoy what I do safely, challenge myself a bit every time and hopefully surprise myself a bit too. 

I’m lucky to have such a good venue nearby - Earl Shilton. The club owns the land, and it’s only £50 a year for 7 day a week access!

• 3 months later...

I love the compilation Haggetty. I get it all... LOL   

I am New to Trials, Just got a 2021 300 evo. Background is fast. raced ama afm wera roadracing and mx and enduro. So this is a new world.. Moved to mexico some years back and the next trials event here is a national in mexico city. I am going to go and give it a whirl... Nothing to loose nothing to prove. Just want to have some fun.

• Like 2