DAB PRODUCTS KEIHIN TICK OVER SCREW FOR PWK CARB AND AIR SCREW ON BETA 125 2012

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there. I just couldn't adjust the tickover of my carb. Realised the old plastic tick over screw was seized solid. Is this s common fault. Looking at how little used the bike is I reckon the carb gas never been removed before I took oenership. Removed carb and tried to screw it out but the plastic piece just sheared off. I carefully drilled it out then ran a tap (or is it a dye) down it to clear the thread. I was going to replace it anyway with a dab products tick over screw. It threads in perfectly but the thread doesn't seem tight. I'm hoping I haven't damaged the delicate M5 thread but I was careful. I'm guessing i need to refit the spring to give it some tension. Is this right ? I'm surprised there is no o ring. The dab products screw came with no spring. Does the thread give it it's air tightness ?

Also the air screw had no o ring either. Is this normal ?

Edited by gazzaecowarrior
  • Confused 1

There is no O ring fitted to the standard air-screw although some after market ones do have them. We have never fitted an aftermarket air-screw and have had no problems. Always remove when cleaning the carb as the pilot air drillings can block up.  Before removal check setting by carefully screwing in until it bottoms - counting the turns before removal, don't lose the spring! Air-screw setting is normally 1.5 to 2.5 turns out from fully in, and a long bladed screwdriver will reach it under the silencer for fine adjustment.

Regarding the tickover screw, once freed and greased the plastic one is ok, but an aftermarket one is better and you need the spring from the original and that gives sufficient tension.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, overdale said:

There is no O ring fitted to the standard air-screw although some after market ones do have them. We have never fitted an aftermarket air-screw and have had no problems. Always remove when cleaning the carb as the pilot air drillings can block up.  Before removal check setting by carefully screwing in until it bottoms - counting the turns before removal, don't lose the spring! Air-screw setting is normally 1.5 to 2.5 turns out from fully in, and a long bladed screwdriver will reach it under the silencer for fine adjustment.

Regarding the tickover screw, once freed and greased the plastic one is ok, but an aftermarket one is better and you need the spring from the original and that gives sufficient tension.

Thanks for the response. Very helpful. 🙂