Removing motor from frame

GrahamM78

I've got a 2017 GasGas Contact, and I need to check out the top end after a cold seizure (different story / post 😔).   I've found a service manual with information on disassembling the motor, but it doesn't include steps to remove the motor from the frame.   I'm relatively comfortable working on bikes, but I though I would check if anyone has some tips / gotchas or even a manual as that may save me some headaches :)

Are there any parts that need to be replaced when removing the motor from the frame?

Thank you!

While the radiator/fan is out, drill-out the rivets which secure the fan to the rad and replace with short sheet-metal screws. Then in the future you can remove the fan (say to replace the fan motor :) ) or to ease access to the top-end without having to remove the radiator itself.

• Thanks 1

I got ahold of Jim Snell with Rising Sun and I'm going to do a cylinder swap.  I've gotten as far as unbolting the cylinder - some of the bolts are pretty hard to get to - especially the back right under the exhaust. can't get a socket on it - well I can get the socket but not an extension / driver and a spanner doesn't have room to turn - and also seems a little loose fit so I don't want to strip I did use some heat on the others and that helped.

What tools do you use to remove the cylinder?  I think I will have a little more room if I remove the exhaust, so I'll try that once getting on a center stand to remove the rear shock bolt

When you say a spanner has no room to turn are you using open jaw spanners? If so then I think you need to use ring spanners. or Combination spanners which are ring at one end and open jaw at the other.

Spoiler

I was able to get it - I was using a ring spanner. the front left (clutch side) was a real #$!%@.  the gap is so small between the nut and cylinder on the 2017 contact (maybe 1/8") that I had to grind down a ring spanner to get around it.    Thanks all, cylinder removed and off for a swap! 20210417_105332.thumb.jpg.7ba5cb3a46cd1633cae4f7629eb79847.jpg