New old fantic 200 Help

Yan1889

Hi. I'm new to the forum, and have just bought a fairly original (I think) fantic 200 1980. I've done everything that i think I'm capable of, I've got basic tools and no real mechanical knowledge. I've cleaned carb (it looks ok ?) fitted new rear shocks and silencer, new spark plug and air filter. It's still not starting well, if it does start it runs at high revs but dies without choke. Last couple of days it won't start at all. I'm probably now at the end of my capabilities. Does anyone now anybody in the Worksop, Rotherham, Doncaster area that might be able to take it in and solve what I hope is a simple issue. Or should I first replace dell orto carb with a new one before I give up hope. Any other simple ish fixes that I might have missed? I love it and I'm desperate to use it 🙂

Of course there are a lot of things that could be causing your issue but the usual (simple) thing that causes those symptoms is a blocked pilot jet or blocked pilot jet passage (in the carby). The fuel hole in the pilot jet is a tiny thing and blocks very easily. If you are confident enough, you can take the pilot jet out and clean its hole. When you can hold it up to a light and see through it clearly you will know you have cleaned it out.

Often the delorto has 2 slow running jets in the same hole, I know I missed that a few years ago. Worth considering taking it to Bill Pye who is not a million miles away. Need to get a move on though there is less thn 3 weeks to go to the Midland Classic trial at Rhodesia which is vey close to you

Thanks teamferret. Not sure I'm ready for trials yet. Need to practice on a bit of land I've got access to first ! Heard Bill Pye mentioned a lot and I'd love to let him do his magic on it. I'll have another look at the carb first. 
Will certainly have a look down in Rhodesia if I can get. 2 or 3 miles from me! 

Yes, I think you should give the carb a thoroughly clean.  Not only the jets,but also all passages. Blowing with compressed air is not bad. I have a filter in the blow line to make sure the air is clean enough.

You may need a set of new  trials tyres. If you think to use an inner tube for the rear you have only one option.....IRC. For the (tubed) front you can use IRC, Michelin or Dunlop. Lot of people use IRC at the rear and Michelin at the front.

• Like 1

All the small jet holes are virtually solid. Can't successfully clean them with needles etc.  Compressed air won't shift it. New carb I think. At least we're starting from fresh then. Crank seals sound like a big job. Where do I start? I've seen them for sale at Inmotion but does it mean taking the engine to bits?

Thanks all for the advice. 

13 hours ago, wheelieman14 said:

heated ultrasonic cleaner with diluted simple green for a few cycles is worth a try to clean out clogged jets

Thanks . I think the clogs are baked in there now but I'll give it a try.

You can purchase non ethanol fuel ie Aspen fairly locally, I use a mower dealer in Forrest Town...that gets rid of the stale/plastic distorting...eating...gelling up pump fuel issue. Probably why your carb jets are clogged up! Just because you say you have limited mechanical skills shouldn’t prevent you from sorting your Fantic, you may need all the skills you can muster if you are going to ride trials and practice, especially if you break down in the middle of no where. By getting to know your bike will increase confidence. With those jets don’t be afraid to probe them with a suitable tool eg wire or as you have used pins just don’t remove any metal and increase the jet size. If it runs on the main jet its more than likely the slow running jet(s). Maybe save some money and try just buying new correct size jets before lashing out on a new carb. The Fantic 200 is a really nice machine (156cc) and is an ideal first bike which will be suitable as a keeper. The electronic ignition if original may be suffering some degradation and would be worth checking all connections for corrosion and fit. There is masses of info on this website and plenty of knowledgeable individuals to get help and advice from. Out of interest did you get the Fantic from a dealer or private? As an extra it would be worth checking the fuel tap/tank filter for dirt etc.👍 

Edited by section swept