Spanish Championship - what happened

NAD1

Seen lots on social media with the Spanish riders slating the opening round and rule changes.

From what I can deduce there is some kind of time element involved now around quickest rider etc... 

What is this and what happened? Saw Casales picked up a nasty injury as a result.

Casales injury was the day before so nothing to do with the rule change. The rule change was for every 5 mins under the time limit a rider got 1 mark knocked off their score. Time was too long , they extended it by 30 mins for each lap but not sure why. Sections on the easy side so riders quickly worked out if they went round fast enough they would have a 0 score. 

Gelabert and Busto should actually have had a minus overall score but those two and raga all show zero in the final results. 

Not sure how they determined the winner.

Edited by baldilocks
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2021 at 11:13 PM, baldilocks said:

Casales injury was the day before so nothing to do with the rule change. The rule change was for every 5 mins under the time limit a rider got 1 mark knocked off their score. Time was too long , they extended it by 30 mins for each lap but not sure why. Sections on the easy side so riders quickly worked out if they went round fast enough they would have a 0 score. 

Gelabert and Busto should actually have had a minus overall score but those two and raga all show zero in the final results. 

Not sure how they determined the winner.

Jeeez.. no wonder all the riders / teams are p*ssed off. What a mental thing to introduce.
Wonder if they'll abort given the widespread condemnation from everyone involved

Surely that timing rule is backwards. Would it not be easier to add points if you're over the time limit? Then chances are that nobody will ever get a zero and the maths would be easier. And there would only limited advantage to putting your foot down to speed up, coz you would still be getting points.

• Like 2

@AlanC yes I agree.

As a rider I lived the time element of the SSDT and the Scott. It provides some adrenaline when you are late 😄

To be fair to the RFME I think they get more entries as they have more classes but that means you can't complete the day if everyone is  balancing in every section, you need an incentive for people to hurry up.

3 hours ago, baldilocks said:

@AlanC yes I agree.

As a rider I lived the time element of the SSDT and the Scott. It provides some adrenaline when you are late 😄

To be fair to the RFME I think they get more entries as they have more classes but that means you can't complete the day if everyone is  balancing in every section, you need an incentive for people to hurry up.

This is  the main problem with turning championships in to a multi class /multi route sections   as each class affects another class ,So organizers need to make a call ! is it all about a good entry or a good trial fit for championship purpose,  

On 4/28/2021 at 6:08 AM, baldilocks said:

Another attempt at stopping stopping...or at least incentivising riding more quickly.

Spain is normal though and stop allowed.
Cant for the life of me see any benefit to this new enduro style thinking.

Riders, teams dont like

Wont add any viewing pleasure for spectators

So what's the point? 🤔