Bultaco Model 49 Sherpa, how many models.

chappo

I’ve just bought a Bultaco Sherpa Model 49 to renovate.

On searching for information on this model , which seems sparse people talk about different models of the 49.

Were there several models of the 49, what were the differences.

A74729D5-F4C7-4503-9730-2BB3B9CC3D0A.jpeg

Top shock mount location moved down and forwards to where yours are during model 49.

Brake pedal design changed during model 49. Can't see yours.

Frame tubes under engine went from single middle tube to a smaller tube each side during model 49.

Outer engine casings design changed to your type during model 49. This co-incided with the frame tube change under the engine. This change was somewhere around number 2650. I don't have the book with me at the moment with the number in it to refer to.

Rear hub changed during model 49. Can't see yours well enough to say which one yours is.

Your lack of frame tubes under the engine is non-standard but is a common mod.

The book " Historia de la Sherpa T" by Francois Stauffacher is a good reference book for Sherpa T identification

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2021 at 2:09 PM, feetupfun said:

Top shock mount location moved down and forwards to where yours are during model 49.

Brake pedal design changed during model 49. Can't see yours.

Frame tubes under engine went from single middle tube to a smaller tube each side during model 49.

Outer engine casings design changed to your type during model 49. This co-incided with the frame tube change under the engine. This change was somewhere around number 2650. I don't have the book with me at the moment with the number in it to refer to.

Rear hub changed during model 49. Can't see yours well enough to say which one yours is.

Your lack of frame tubes under the engine is non-standard but is a common mod.

The book " Historia de la Sherpa T" by Francois Stauffacher is a good reference book for Sherpa T identification

Thanks feetupfun. 
Sent images of the hub and rear brake.

But the frame number is 1787.

41168CB2-4590-4C1E-B61F-17977E536A25.jpeg

AF72122D-0866-40BF-A76B-8F8206402EF4.jpeg

8 hours ago, chappo said:

Thanks feetupfun. 
Sent images of the hub and rear brake.

But the frame number is 1787.

41168CB2-4590-4C1E-B61F-17977E536A25.jpeg

AF72122D-0866-40BF-A76B-8F8206402EF4.jpeg

Yours has the later arrangement for the brake pedal pivot. The early arrangement had the pivot location to the rear of the frame upright.

Is your engine number also somewhere around 1787?

Your rear wheel looks like the early type hub (shared with model 10 and model 27)

Here are photos of my series 1 model 49 (49-00100) showing the early brake pedal pivot location (and brake pedal) and early type rear hub.

20210426_074207.jpg

20210426_074025.jpg

• Thanks 1

Dave ,your bike is 2nd series of three , should have single tube under the motor with 2 smaller tubes coming off it half way under the motor ,yours has had this cut out and an alloy bashplate fitted ,rear hub and brake pedal is correct ,Pat Kean

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 7:39 AM, chappo said:

Thanks Pat, any views on the foot pegs, they look like those off a highboy frame. Or was that style standard on this 49.

Yes Dave , highboy type , standard were fixed