advice 125 vs 200 trials bike

Jag

Have a add in the wanted  list for a 200 Beta Evo but having no luck finding one even increased my price range up to £4000 so what do owner riders think if i widen my  choice to include  a Beta 125,a Gas Gas 125  TRS would only be riding the easy  sections as now in my 80s so would   like more low down torque  than power, let me know what you think if you have one of these bikes you want to sell let me know 

300ss Beta and 300 Sherco have masses of torque without ripping your arms out of the sockets, quite linear.

125 Beta is more rev happy, well down on power compared to the 300's, ok low down torque, more lively but with less to give. Will easily do the job but from your description might not be what you're looking for. 

250 Beta particularity the ones with a flywheel weight as standard is the middle ground.

I haven't ridden the other 125s. Gas Gas 250 and 300 much more lively.

2 hours ago, totty79 said:

300ss Beta and 300 Sherco have masses of torque without ripping your arms out of the sockets, quite linear.

125 Beta is more rev happy, well down on power compared to the 300's, ok low down torque, more lively but with less to give. Will easily do the job but from your description might not be what you're looking for. 

250 Beta particularity the ones with a flywheel weight as standard is the middle ground.

I haven't ridden the other 125s. Gas Gas 250 and 300 much more lively.

A 250, with a flywheel weight, and with a low compression head and the timing retarded 3mm.  

Never ridden a Beta 200.  There's one on E.bay at the moment.  Been relisted.  3 years old.  £3850 - been up to that last time!  However a brand new one is only £5500.  I suspect the seller is running it up to try to get someone to bite nearer £4000.

Edited by stpauls

My first trials bike (at 38) was a 125 Gasgas and while I had to use the revs a lot more sometimes (because I'm not light) the lack of power really kept me out of trouble when pushing myself in sections and I'm very glad I didn't do my first year of trials on a 250.  The 125 did everything I could have needed, I was the weak link in the chain!

• Like 2

I agree with the suggestion by 'stpauls' of perhaps a much more common size, a 250 engined bike fitted with a low compression head/extra gaskets and maybe a slow action throttle. They would be easy to start as well. As for the unicorn of the trials world the 200 Beta, try before you buy if possible it may not suit as they don't have much torque.  

I've got a 2012 bets evo 125. I'm 90kg. Had always ridden 250's until I retired due to injury six years ago. Wanted a little used bike to ride again at my local practice area. My bike came up and it had clearly never been trialed. Not a scratch on it. None of the usual signs of abuse for a bike costing £2500.  I thought the 125 would not be enough for me but it has been perfect. Plenty of power. I've just got used to revving it a bit more. Remember how able these little bikes can be with the top schoolboys riding them in the British championships !! I haven't regretted my purchase at all. It's been a great buy.

• Like 1

Give Farley a ring at Guildford (01483 538485) they are expecting an Evo 200 in shortly (2018) no idea about the price they don't tell until the bike arrives.  Might be in your new budget though.

Personally i would look at the 250 as well but that is just me.

• Like 1

I am about 86 kg (190 lbs) and I can do fine on a 125 for lower to mid level riding but do have to rev it quite a bit to do so and think the 200's are better all around without modification.  The 250 I have and have been on are nicer for the low end grunt and for my size something like a Beta 250 with a flywheel weight, black (slow) throttle, and maybe timing retarded 3mm would be my choice over a 125 and you could even go with a low compression head to make it a bit easier to start and mellow it out a bit as well. 

Just some extra information for consideration.  Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice have bought a 2018 beta 200 from Gordon Farley  thanks to Chris CH for telling me about the  having bike delivered  should arrive on Friday

ordered  a few extra carbon bits frame protector ect

Bob

• Like 2