Cleaning with WD40

trapezeartist

It has been my habit to use WD40 to finish cleaning my bike. So I wash it, dry it, then go over everything with a light spray of WD40 and absorbent paper. It certainly takes off the last film of grime nicely, but I’m beginning to suspect it of slowly making the paint and stickers lose their gloss. Could I be right? How do others get a nice finish? I’ve just got a new bike so would like to start off doing it right.

Silicone spray is usually the go to for leaving a nice shine after a wash (gt85 is pretty popular) although it won't really remove any residual grime as you call it as it wouldn't be as liquid as wd40 (unless you properly douse it in it)

I wouldn't say the wd40 is actively dulling your stickers. Although the silicone can revive dulled stickers through scratches that looked beyond restoring

Edited by faussy
  • Like 3

Hi there. I've always been wary using wd40 on my bike. Im sure it can swell rubber. I use gt85 with straw attachment for accuracy after I've washed the bike to displace any water. I remove flywheel cover. Fire bike up. Let it run for ten mins. Spray gt85 over engine area once engine cool enough. I then spray chain and linkage area. Avoid all brakes obviously. It leaves a nice sheen on plastics too. This has worked for me.

• Like 3

WD 40 is not the best thing to use, it can attack rubber parts and though classed as a multi purpose lubricant does not work all that well in certain circumstances. No problem if you use it for cleaning/freeing or dissolving rust or short term lube. But not ideal on, rubber, plastic, chains and bushes as a lubricant. 

For a good shine on the plastics and to help stop the mud sticking use a silicone based spray (just avoid any of it near your brakes!!) then use the appropriate lubricants for the chain and other areas. I use a water proof grease in any bush/bearings this seems to hold up better than normal grease. 

• 1 month later...

You guys wash your bikes? Here in the states we treat our trials bikes like we treat our women. We turn them upside down, and put them away dirty.

Come to think of it, That might explain the performance of each of them so I think I'll take your advice and hit her with some silicone spray tonight after my wife's shower

I've used Mr. Sheen for years on just about everything, even as a car polish but not in a sunny spot or hot car body. It tends to build up a coating that protects.

Obviously not on brakes and stuff!🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...