2013 Beta 4T shifter problem

rrefugee

My bike has recently acquired a problem with the shifter. When going to a higher gear, it shifts gears fine but the shift lever stays in the up position. It will go down to neutral position if I bump it gently with my foot. Once in neutral position again,  it will shift into the next higher gear no problem but the shift lever still stays up. When shifting to a lower gear the lever will go to neutral position on its own. It dosnt make any abnormal noise or feel different when shifting and it was working fine most of the day, then out of the blue, it started acting up. 

Is it an ordeal to get to the shift mechanism? Can the shift mechanism be inspected and/or removed with the engine as is in the bike, or does it have to be torn down and the cases split?

Can you be more specific? What problem/assembly do I need to look for/at? I'm not trying to come across stupid or as a wise ass, I have never had to deal with this type of situation before. Thank you for your help. 

Hello

I had the same issue on a 2011 4t

The spring that holds the shifter has a leg snapped off so it only worked one way

I would suggest draining the oil and checking the magnet on the plug as mine had the snapped off spring leg stuck to it.

No need to split case but you will have to take a side casing off if it indeed the same as mine.

Here was my thread regarding it:

Edited by Kona

Thank you all for your responses.  I hope it is the spring that is the problem,  that seems like an easier repair than a broken weld on the shift shaft. Either way, I'll be taking it apart for some exploratory surgery when I get back in town...hopefully in a few days.

Before you get carried away, it’ll be worth checking something simple that caused the exact same problem I had on mine.... The gear change had come slightly lose and worked its way inboard, enough to be rubbing on a casting on the engine. This was enough to stop the lever returning on its own. Hope that helps. 

D39B748F-1BF1-4882-A446-D92BAA277367.jpeg

I started taking it apart today. When I drained the oil, there was nothing on the drain plug magnet. So now I'm in the process of getting the clutch removed,  then taking apart the shift mechanism.

I took out the shift shaft and the spring looked fine. When I looked closer at the shift mechanism, one side of the return spring just fell off. So one side of the spring was broken but it hadn't snapped off. Problem found, so far so good. 

My bike has been super dependable in the four years I have owned it, this is the most involved repair it has ever needed. It only took about 2-3 hours to take it apart and find the problem.  Putting it back together should be faster.

Edited by rrefugee
Added additional info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1