Why are used Sherco relatively cheaper?

JonM

Hi Guys, 

A bit of backstory first:

I'm 38 years old, pretty athletic and as a younger man raced short circuit on a 600, plus dabbled with motocross for circa 10yrs- racing 250 2t and 450 4t at club level (and slowly. I wasn't great). 

I also rode a lot of street trials, becoming friendly with a pro mtb trials rider- I wasn't great but I had half an idea what I was doing. 

During lockdown my father restored a 1971 Bultaco Sherpa, I tried it and loved it. There are two trials centres within an hour of me, so I bought a 2001 Gasgas TXT 250. 

I'm enjoying the bike but ultimately it's tired and I've decided I'd like to upgrade. 

For my budget I'm finding a lot more 'affordable' Sherco than anything else.

I've done as much reading & research as I can and understand the era I'm looking at has a 'unique' tank/airbox layout but is there a reason they're cheaper than the equivalent Gasgas or Beta? 

No idea, my '99 Sherco feels higher quality than my '04 Gasgas used to ... apart from the name not being as well known (the only big competition pedigree they have is 7 years of winning the women's championship) I can't think of a reason they'd be cheaper for the same condition / age.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

No idea, my '99 Sherco feels higher quality than my '04 Gasgas used to ... apart from the name not being as well known (the only big competition pedigree they have is 7 years of winning the women's championship) I can't think of a reason they'd be cheaper for the same condition / age.

Thanks for the reply. 

I'm looking circa 2011-2014 I think? (So a 10yr upgrade from where I am now). 

I Think people just don't like the tank setup and how it worked.

The fuel cap was a pain to get off, I also heard that the bike could air lock when doing certain obstacles.

I think the yokes could bash into the frame at the top end and bend it.

Other than that I don think they are really a bad bike

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kona said:

I Think people just don't like the tank setup and how it worked.

The fuel cap was a pain to get off, I also heard that the bike could air lock when doing certain obstacles.

I think the yokes could bash into the frame at the top end and bend it.

Other than that I don think they are really a bad bike

That's good to know, thank you. 

I've done as much reading/Googling as I can and read about frame tubes, difficulty with airbox/carb, needing an inline fuel filter etc but it's hard to find reviews/comparisons like there are for MX, enduro or road bikes. 

There was an era when the 290 Sherco was only suitable for top level riders and there seemed to be quite a few for sale cheap second/third/fourth hand that had been bought in error by people thinking they would be good to learn trials riding on.

There was also an era around then when Shercos didn't have much steering lock compared with other brands so you needed to be able to hop the front where something like a Beta would turn much tighter with both wheels on the ground.

Edited by feetupfun
  • Thanks 1

The steering was a major problem to me, after coming off GasGas TXT I got a bargain priced Sherco but only kept it for 6 months and moved it on, as I could not trick ride and could not get it around the sections that the GasGas could easily steer round. 

• Thanks 1

If you can, get along to your practice venue & try to blag a ride on a few different bikes, or maybe a dealer that has test area (some do !) so you can get a feel for each one that’s available. Try to bear in mind they’ll al be ‘set up’ differently with regard to position of handlebars & levers etc so might not feel right for you as is, but you get the idea. If you’re moving ‘up’ from the txt edition you’ll notice immediately that newer bikes are lighter ( possibly more ‘frail’ too ) across the board. I had the older jtx, which was similar to txt edition, then went to the early ‘txt pro’ which was noticeably more nimble. Then a later pro with better bigger forks which were a big improvement (post 2005). I tried a mates beta evo, but it steered so tight that at full lock it was going straight on pushing the front sideways ! Anyway a few years on I fancied a change, went evo & soon got used to it, just more weight over the front. Bike choice must be one of the most talked about things on here. It’s all subjective, pages & pages if you look, but if a particular model is cheaper there’s a reason, even if it’s just a trend that people don’t like the look or whatever. It might suit you fine, plenty were sold, but if it’s cheap to buy now it’s also cheaper when you want to sell ! I liked Gasgas but would be a bit wary of an older one now from spares point of view (taken over by Ktm), but beta spares seem plentiful, and also sherco via splatshop. Either way, stick with 250 max., plenty of power for 99% of riders. 

Good luck with your search

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, feetupsbetter said:

If you can, get along to your practice venue & try to blag a ride on a few different bikes, or maybe a dealer that has test area (some do !) so you can get a feel for each one that’s available. Try to bear in mind they’ll al be ‘set up’ differently with regard to position of handlebars & levers etc so might not feel right for you as is, but you get the idea. If you’re moving ‘up’ from the txt edition you’ll notice immediately that newer bikes are lighter ( possibly more ‘frail’ too ) across the board. I had the older jtx, which was similar to txt edition, then went to the early ‘txt pro’ which was noticeably more nimble. Then a later pro with better bigger forks which were a big improvement (post 2005). I tried a mates beta evo, but it steered so tight that at full lock it was going straight on pushing the front sideways ! Anyway a few years on I fancied a change, went evo & soon got used to it, just more weight over the front. Bike choice must be one of the most talked about things on here. It’s all subjective, pages & pages if you look, but if a particular model is cheaper there’s a reason, even if it’s just a trend that people don’t like the look or whatever. It might suit you fine, plenty were sold, but if it’s cheap to buy now it’s also cheaper when you want to sell ! I liked Gasgas but would be a bit wary of an older one now from spares point of view (taken over by Ktm), but beta spares seem plentiful, and also sherco via splatshop. Either way, stick with 250 max., plenty of power for 99% of riders. 

Good luck with your search

Thank you- a well thought out and comprehensive reply. 

Completely understand bike choice is personal and there are different traits. In motocross I raced 2 stroke Honda, Yamaha, KTM & Suzuki (250 mainly but also 380) and 4 stroke Honda, KTM & Suzuki.

I'm happy with a 250 in terms of power but the 280/290/300's are more abundant so likely what I'll end up on. 

A Beta Evo is first choice but struggling to find one within budget... hence the possible Sherco. 

I use to ride in the 70's and early 80's and after 30 some years, twinshock YamahaTY. I bought a 250 Beta REV 3 that I traded a couple of years later for a 2015 St 250, I never felt '' safe '' on the REV but immediately felt good on the Sherco even if I was not incline at first toward the make or model. Simply said : try and choose, but the best advise is wait for a 250, if you don't like it it will be easy to resell.

Guy

P.S. When I bought the Sherco I realy was looking for a Montesa, that mean that I'm not '' hooked '' on any make

• Thanks 1

I've had numerous Gassers, Sherco', Beta' over the years (Rev 3 and Evo's) and a Vertigo. Currently on a 2021 Factory Sherco and it is lovely, incredibly light and responsive with fantastic suspension. I found all bikes to be the same as I upgraded over the years to be fair. In my opinion though and from my own experience I would say that the Beta's are the most reliable in terms of engine and gearbox.

I've had electrical failures on all brands of bikes, but the Sherco' in particular seem to begin to rattle a little sooner in comparison to others, I've noticed this from seeing and hearing the second hand bikes that mates have owned and at events. But this comes down to who has owned it and if the bike has been looked after, although I have heard of the barrels going oval leading to piston slap on the Sherco bikes. The older style Sherco with the tank and airbox switched, I had one and this was a fantastic bike (2014 factory 300), the biggest issue I had was in relation to dirt getting into the fuel pump which was easily managed by splitting and cleaning routinely and by trying to avoid getting crap in the fuel tank, fuel cap covers are available to help with this. That said, I've heard older gassers and beta' rattling away too, so these things are common to all brands over time, it comes down to maintenance and how the bikes have been ridden at the end of the day.

If the bikes ride well and sound good when viewing I'd say any of them are a safe bet if they have been looked after. You will have equally as much fun on whichever bike you choose, once setup to suit you then you'll be onto a winner regardless of brand as I believe they are all good. 

16 hours ago, feetupsbetter said:

Thanks everyone. 

I feel I've got a balanced idea of the pros/cons of the marques so it's up to me... And whether I'm willing to wait another few months for a 250 GG/Beta, rather than a 300 Sherco. 

There's another factor in my decision; the Sherco is from a dealer. 

Friends would tell you I can be a pedant but when looking at FB, eBay and Gumtree I'm blown away by the poor quality of the listings. Really rings alarm bells. 

Even with my Gasgas I've repacked both silencers, had fork seals & bushes done, replaced the waterpump shaft + seal, rebuilt the front m/c, refurbed the calipers, etc etc... All in 5 months, with receipts to prove. 

Many of the used bikes at 10yrs old are with owners who perhaps don't fully understand what they have, nor the maintenance required. 

Consequently I'm a little wary when it comes to whom I buy from... (I know, I know- Champagne taste & Lemonade money!) 

I could be just as suspicious of a dealer masking a problem as a private sale. I swapped bikes with my neighbour last weekend from my 2012 gas gas 280 to his 2016 Sherco 300, I liked it, no complaints just not as smooth off the bottom. I wouldn't choose a 300 but certainly wouldn't shy away from one as used trials bikes are sparse around here. He has not had any problems with it although it is new to him this year, I think it might be the best looking trials bike out there for whatever that is worth!