2003 gas gas shifting and clutch removal

Tacton

I just bought a 2003 gas gas 2003 280 pro I knew it had shifting problems, it drops into neutral when I’m riding then it’s difficult to get back into gear I usually have to shut the bike off roll it around and it usually finds a gear, I’m in the process of checking the adjuster behind the clutch, the clutch removal isn’t going as planned the 4mm bolt in the centre of the clutch seems to have stripped threads I turned it out with no problems and I can’t get the bolt out the clutch hub moves out about 1/4 inch and that’s it the bolt just spins, and also when I removed the clutch cover a piece fell out that I can’t find where it came from, it just seems to have fell out because it’s not broken from what I can see, any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks 

D60998BB-AFB3-4FE1-AD32-F52E75F9671B.jpeg

No clue what that piece is that fell out when you took the cover off.

The Hell Team has much Tech support information.

click on "Parts Books" and then click on the year of your bike, and viola!!  parts diagrams.  I could not find anything that would be under the clutch cover that looked like that piece.

https://www.thehellteam.com/technical-support/gas-gas-parts-and-service-manuals.html

Thanks for all the info, the clutch came off with slight and even amount of pressure on two sides, the bolt and the threads that hold the clutch on looked good but it just seems like there’s and issue there, it didn’t want to do up tight for me when I put it back together. Am I missing something here? I’m more of a husky 300 rider this is my first trials bike and it’s awesome, anyways, the top hat and shear pin and spring look good I removed them and inspected closely then I removed the material on the casing just as in Jim Snells video, I just took it for a ride, it seems better but it drops out of gear and it jumps back in just as fast it also seems to down shift on its own, I’m wondering if maybe I just need to take some more material of the case or adjust the shifter, I just want to make sure I have all the outside simply stuff covered first before I go and buy parts and split the engine 

thanks

The center bolt for holding the clutch basket on is not exactly necessary to have in there, you can leave the bolt and washer out.

I am running mine without it.  If the basket does move outward it will move a minimal amount before the clutch plunger touches the fingers. which will keep it from moving any farther out.

but I am afraid you may need to split the cases.  there may be an issue internal of the transmission

Hmmm ... it sure sounds like something is amiss internal to your transmission; it shouldn't spontaneously shift on its own!

I'm repairing the internals of the transmission on my 2008 TXT300 PRO, and if the designs of the transmissions of our two bikes are similar, I certainly can imagine how my issue - a broken circlip on one of the transmission gear shafts (which allowed the gear to "float" and effectively shift) - could be the root cause of what you're experiencing as well. The fix necessitates splitting the cases. There is a Jim Snell video which details the rebuilding on your vintage of engine.

Is there any "shrapnel" on the oil drain plug magnet? My circlip - actually, half of it! - was firmly attached. No question about whether to split the cases when I saw that.

I would be inclined to split the cases and see where that piece of steel in the first photo, came from. May be it is the link (missing!) from the gear selector rollers that ride inside the end of the gear selector drum, though I recall these as looking more like a skinny chain side plate. Have a look inside before any serious damage is done. Bye, Peter B.

• 5 weeks later...

Tacton, since you're in Creston, Dave Fair at Moto Trials West in Victoria may be you're best and closest source for needed parts; he helped me with what I needed when I repaired the tranny in my 2008 TXT. Dave also suggested that I replace the needle bearings under the gears on the shafts, and I'm glad I did as they fell apart immediately when I removed the gears (so the bearings were waiting to fail). Basically ... since you're in so deep, best to go all the way in. :)

Edited by d2w