Stupid question time:

Is it ok to clean a foam air cleaner with parafin (kerosene)?  Or will it melt the glue or the foam?

The air filter in the Sherco is in good condition but has a lot of black greasy muck at one end.  I don't have any dedicated degreaser for it, and I don't think washing up liquid is going to cut it (at least, not for the first pass).  I've never before had an air filter that was this dirty that didn't need replacing anyway!

Not a stupid question.

Mineral turpentine is what I use, followed by a warm solution of dish-washing liquid then cold water rinse then wrapped in absorbent fabric and squeezed then allowed to fully dry out by evaporation

4 hours ago, feetupfun said:

Not a stupid question.

Mineral turpentine is what I use, followed by a warm solution of dish-washing liquid then cold water rinse then wrapped in absorbent fabric and squeezed then allowed to fully dry out by evaporation

I do as feetupfun said, using paraffin. After drying out, I still give the dry filter a good beating on my hand to dislodge any last bits of dust.

• Like 2