If you'd bought it, what would you do?

JonM

I suggest returning the bike, then take your time deciding what model you actually want by TRYING THEM OUT.

Then, when you know what suits your riding style, wait for a good example to come along, dont buy blind or rush into anything, theres plenty about.

24 minutes ago, tshock250 said:

I suggest returning the bike, then take your time deciding what model you actually want by TRYING THEM OUT.

Then, when you know what suits your riding style, wait for a good example to come along, dont buy blind or rush into anything, theres plenty about.

Appreciate your input but I think that's a bit off topic. 

Trying out other examples of bikes doesn't mean that the one I buy is mechanically sound, and I don't have a network of friends willing to lend me bikes- all of whom would have suspension + controls set to their liking, possibly fly wheel weights, different jetting and different throttle tubes. 

I raced 250 & 380 2 stroke motocross, and 450 4 strokes from Suzuki, Honda and KTM. 

I also raced a stock 600 (Suzuki) plus owned 2x R6, Aprilia RSV, GSXR1000 and currently an R1. 

I didn't try a single one of them- I adapted my riding style and in every instance it helped my riding. 

Please don't get all shouty in your capital letters; I asked for advice on something specific- returning the bike for reasons of 'shopping around' wouldn't be fair to the dealer. 

Buying a bike blind then trying to adapt your style to it surely isn’t the smartest approach though to be fair. I’ve had many bikes over the years & only change when I  discover something that suits me & makes me feel comfortable riding it. This is how you improve your results. Granted nobody could have foreseen the problems your particular bike has, but testing a bike before you buy is paramount. 
PS not shouting, was just trying to reinforce a point. Hope you get it sorted as is bloody annoying when stuff doesn’t work properly.

Edited by tshock250
  • Thanks 1

Appreciate it, and I didn't wish to appear ungrateful, but it's just not an option. 

I entered into the sale in good faith and if the bike didn't suit me then I'd have to accept it as my fault. I know that I'll need to change springs, for instance, but the bike not running is a different game. 

I actually wanted a 250 Beta Evo but couldn't find one within budget unless I went through Facebook... And I really don't trust some of those ads! 

Have you spoke with the dealer yet? Certainly would be hard to have much love for a bike that hasn't shown you any. Would you know how old the fuel might have been, a carb clean would be my first endeavour. I quite liked all the Shercos I've been on...(Both of them an 06 250 and a 16 300)...

I really like my Sherco (2015 ST 250 (rear tank)) so maybe I am a bit jaded (I also live in Nova Scotia so it takes a lot less time to cover 100 miles :) ) and would consider that a reasonable drive for service. Personally I would take it back to the dealer and let him correct the issue. If the sherco's sit for a bit the clutch will stick but usually frees up after a little warm up. If there is a fuel line / carb issue it should be easily sorted. Trials bikes do tend to be a bit more fiddly than fuel injected street bikes but they are all pretty similar in that regard. I do agree it really sucks when you pay good money for something and are really looking forward to just riding it so would understand just sending it back (I just really enjoy mine so my vote is to give it a chance).   

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JonM said:

I raced 250 & 380 2 stroke motocross, and 450 4 strokes from Suzuki, Honda and KTM. 

I also raced a stock 600 (Suzuki) plus owned 2x R6, Aprilia RSV, GSXR1000 and currently an R1.

Just for reference, apart from the location of the controls very little of that transfers to trials.

2 hours ago, turbofurball said:

Just for reference, apart from the location of the controls very little of that transfers to trials.

Perhaps, but moving between 2 & 4 stroke motocross requires a different style (bikes feel different in the corners and engine braking requires different approach to jumps), and a big v-twin feels very different to a 600, and again a 1000cc four.

I was a better 600 rider as I had a better feel for the front and carried good corner speed, but was weak on exit and didn't like the back moving. 

It was a comparison between the nuances of different machines and adapting, not saying experience of one discipline compared to another. 

7 hours ago, michael_t said:

I really like my Sherco (2015 ST 250 (rear tank)) so maybe I am a bit jaded (I also live in Nova Scotia so it takes a lot less time to cover 100 miles :) ) and would consider that a reasonable drive for service. Personally I would take it back to the dealer and let him correct the issue. If the sherco's sit for a bit the clutch will stick but usually frees up after a little warm up. If there is a fuel line / carb issue it should be easily sorted. Trials bikes do tend to be a bit more fiddly than fuel injected street bikes but they are all pretty similar in that regard. I do agree it really sucks when you pay good money for something and are really looking forward to just riding it so would understand just sending it back (I just really enjoy mine so my vote is to give it a chance).   

Thanks, Michael. 

The bike felt light and balanced (albeit a bit soft) and I think I would've been happy... If only it had run! 

Also the yellow frame matches my kit, so that scores style points in itself. 

I'm also going to enter this topic with an entirely different perspective.

2 HR's or 100 miles is not a great distance, most people on here do more miles than that to compete in various trials, so I would suggest contacting the dealer, returning it to them and giving them  time to fix it. When they have tested it and even get them to video the test and email to you, then collect it and use it.

if they refuse to fix it, get your money back as they know it's not worth the fix up.

this way, you either get a fixed bike or you money back, and you'll only be time and petrol money out of pocket.

• Thanks 2

OK, I spoke to the dealer today and they've agreed to take it back. 

All on good terms- easy. 

I'm just in the garage now having a look and thought I'd poke around a bit, and it looks like the inlet manifold is missing a corner? 

Now I wonder if that first 5mins was enough to heat the bike up, interfere with the sealant and cause an air leak? 

Also, whilst searching the forum I read a post where it was recommended to a Sherco owner to use LOWER octane fuel who had similar issues- is this a thing? 

IMG_20210506_184959.jpg

Edited by JonM
Added info

The sealant does suggest a problem there, possible that a new manifold would help.

Is the dealer refunding you or going to sort the issue for you & give the bike back when it's running properly?

My boy had a 2012 250 with the delorto rear tank model. IT had less than 10 hours on the bike from a novice rider. Like new. It was a dog , I had a kiehin so ordered a manifold for thw bgger carb. The vacuum i take was a joke. It just would no pull any fuel. That 2012 the frame was like spagehtti. The head stay from frame to engine, we would lose that bolt no matter what, I finally double nutted it and red loctite. Any how that vacuum system is someting to run from. I could go on but this post would be deleted.

• Dislike 1

6 hours ago, tony27 said:

The sealant does suggest a problem there, possible that a new manifold would help.

Is the dealer refunding you or going to sort the issue for you & give the bike back when it's running properly?

I emailed the dealer Monday at midday (by then I was already back home thanks to the bike not running) and having not heard, called him yesterday. 

Based on our call it was all very civil and he's agreed a refund. Possibly they knew there was an issue, possibly they're just being responsible dealers. 

We're going to speak again Monday to confirm the return but assuming it goes ahead as described I'll let everyone know who they are, and give them 5 stars on Google. 

I'm disappointed but they have a business to run and I completely understand this is costing them money.