Honda TLR Gear shifter problem

NewTLR87

I have a 1987 TLR200 with shifting problems. When you tap the shifter into first gear the shift arm will drop 90 degrees down from its neutral position. Think of the shift lever pointing at the ground. And you can tell the linkage is out of whack.

You then have to manually return the shift lever to the horizontal position. It shifts fine from neutral to 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on. Any thoughts on the problem? I’ve read that I could ditch the linkage and connect the shifter directly to the transmission shaft. Not sure if that would fix issue or not yet. Thanks 

91F627FE-5CFD-456C-936C-100E676E1222.png

Some information and some opinion.

First the opinion, I used to own a tLR200 Reflex.  Fun bike, I had the gear shift lever attached direct to the shift shaft.  It was mounted vertically, forward for down shift, backward to upshift.  This kept it up out of the way and mostly protected, and reduced possible accidental shifts.

Question: does the shift lever need moved back to horizontal with every downshift or just when shifting into first?

Information,

Parts schematics are available on most online parts suppliers for the major Japanese manufacturers.  

I suspect you have an issue with the shift shaft and return mechanism.  Possible 1 "side" of the return spring (#12) is broken off.

This will be located under the clutch cover.  front of bike in picture would be on the left.

image.png.b988d66b17ed636b5a0ddfbd0ef13668.png

Hope you find the issue

Sounds good I will definitely try to remove the linkage first. If it is internal I may have to take it in. I’m not too mechanically inclined (I know that is a shameful admission in forums like these. If it internal and I wanna take a stab at it where would I find parts. Is there a popular website with older motorcycle parts or is it just find it wherever you can?

5 hours ago, NewTLR87 said:

Sounds good I will definitely try to remove the linkage first. If it is internal I may have to take it in. I’m not too mechanically inclined (I know that is a shameful admission in forums like these. If it internal and I wanna take a stab at it where would I find parts. Is there a popular website with older motorcycle parts or is it just find it wherever you can?

No shame in knowing your limits.  You think the top guys spin wrenches on the bikes they ride?

There are many websites that offer parts, be advised some parts have been discontinued but many are still available.  

a few possible options:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

https://www.bikebandit.com/

https://www.hondapartshouse.com/

https://www.partzilla.com/

https://www.hondapartsnation.com/honda-motorcycle-parts

14 hours ago, zippy said:

Some information and some opinion.

First the opinion, I used to own a tLR200 Reflex.  Fun bike, I had the gear shift lever attached direct to the shift shaft.  It was mounted vertically, forward for down shift, backward to upshift.  This kept it up out of the way and mostly protected, and reduced possible accidental shifts.

Question: does the shift lever need moved back to horizontal with every downshift or just when shifting into first?

Information,

Parts schematics are available on most online parts suppliers for the major Japanese manufacturers.  

I suspect you have an issue with the shift shaft and return mechanism.  Possible 1 "side" of the return spring (#12) is broken off.

This will be located under the clutch cover.  front of bike in picture would be on the left.

image.png.b988d66b17ed636b5a0ddfbd0ef13668.png

Hope you find the issue

Zippy,

I just went out to the shed and checked and it will slip down even when going from say 4th to 3rd. So to me that seems to give evidence that it’s not internal and could just be the linkage?

5 hours ago, NewTLR87 said:

Zippy,

I just went out to the shed and checked and it will slip down even when going from say 4th to 3rd. So to me that seems to give evidence that it’s not internal and could just be the linkage?

Remove linkage and attach shifter direct to shift shaft, first,

Rule out the cheap easy stuff first.  

Let us know how it goes.

On 5/10/2021 at 2:26 AM, zippy said:

Remove linkage and attach shifter direct to shift shaft, first,

Rule out the cheap easy stuff first.  

Let us know how it goes.

All is right with the world again! Get rid of the linkage and attached  shifter to Tran shaft and it seems like problem is gone. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and opinions from you all!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NewTLR87 said:

All is right with the world again! Get rid of the linkage and attached  shifter to Tran shaft and it seems like problem is gone. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and opinions from you all!

YAY!!!!!!

Easy  fixes are the best fixes

• Like 1