What are you guys running for chains and sprockets and why?

Tillerman6

Guys-   I think the TY 250 can run either a #428 chain or a #520 chain.  Are there any advantages one way or the other? favorite? and why?  Best sources? Right now I mostly ride single track and fire roads with a stock 53 tooth on the rear and 12 in the front, but my 53 is about worn out and the chain is about ready to go with it too, so I'm wondering where I can find replacements for all 3 parts if possible. My instinct tells me to stay with steel for the rear sprocket for longevity if nothing else.  Any comments are much appreciated!

I'm happy with a 428 chain on my current 250, but the one I'll build as a Majesty is on a 520 setup. The 428 is lighter, remember Sammy Miller went for a small chain to cut down on weight...

On 5/10/2021 at 11:13 AM, jon v8 said:

I'm happy with a 428 chain on my current 250, but the one I'll build as a Majesty is on a 520 setup. The 428 is lighter, remember Sammy Miller went for a small chain to cut down on weight...

Jon v8- I'm running the stock flywheel and I went to a 12 front 53 rear and the front wheel will barely come off the ground with a big hand full of throttle.  I'm running a knobby on the rear and the stock carb and exhaust.  I want to be able to jump logs if one comes /up on the trail. I have the slow throttle too.  TY 250 A model just to be clear.  Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Should I be in first gear??

I think mine is on 12/53 too, but its at work so I can't check till tomorrow. The one I'm using at the moment is a D model, but the engine is more than overdue a rebore and piston. (The A model is more snappy from memory) Saying that it still goes very well and does not hesitate in picking up the front wheel in second, although third does take a bit more of a pull on the bars... I run a slow throttle too.  This bike is currently only used for club trials and playing in the woods, but I never get the feeling that it needs more power. What I do like about it is its ability to run down to absolutely nothing then pick back up again without complaint. At the trial I rode on Sunday I made it do this several times where slipping the clutch would have been very risky in terms of losing traction. It just did what I asked of it and found grip on slippery mud and tree roots,not even a finger hovering over the clutch...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, guy53 said:

I run 12/55, yes 55 rear sprocket on mine.

Guy

Guy, 

So I'm realizing that the TY can be used for trail riding as well as trials.  Are you doing either one or both? If you are trail riding, do you ever need first gear? 12/55 is even lower than my 12/53.    Feetup fun says to try (for trail riding)  start off in 3rd gear and use the wide power band to best advantage.  He says 13/53 is more suited to trail riding.  I would have to agree for 90% of all the trails around my location- although I do have some that are so steep that there is no chance that going slow is going to work no matter how low the gear ratio is.  Then it's momentum and skill.

1 hour ago, Tillerman6 said:

Guy, 

So I'm realizing that the TY can be used for trail riding as well as trials.  Are you doing either one or both? If you are trail riding, do you ever need first gear? 12/55 is even lower than my 12/53.    Feetup fun says to try (for trail riding)  start off in 3rd gear and use the wide power band to best advantage.  He says 13/53 is more suited to trail riding.  I would have to agree for 90% of all the trails around my location- although I do have some that are so steep that there is no chance that going slow is going to work no matter how low the gear ratio is.  Then it's momentum and skill.

Tilllerman I think I need to clarify:

12/55 is even better than 13/53 for trail riding, because it brings 3rd 4th and 5th gear even closer together than 13/53. For some reason I thought you were thinking about getting a 14T front.

The reason I said to take off in 3rd gear is because you said you were not liking taking off in 1st gear. A TY250 with 12/55 gearing can start off easily in any gear except 5th.

When I said that you should use the TY250 broad power to your advantage I meant that when riding single track you should avoid rowing up and down through the gears.

I've just seen the photos of your bike and that rear tyre will be making it much harder to ride rocky and loose trails than if you had a competition trials tyre on it with 4 psi.

When I came back to trial, I found the TY too '' fast '' in first gear in tight turn,  I was only riding at our club event and in the yard. That's when I lowerd the gear ratio. After a while, I found a place ( perfect for me ) to practice and ride, nice mountain with trail and unlimited opportunity to make my own sections, after a lot of time on the bike, and the use of a very light clutch, I didn't the first gear as often and as David commented I also found the 3rd to 4th easier to manage. I have to say that my TY is not stock and tune to my liking .

Guy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, feetupfun said:

Tilllerman I think I need to clarify:

12/55 is even better than 13/53 for trail riding, because it brings 3rd 4th and 5th gear even closer together than 13/53. For some reason I thought you were thinking about getting a 14T front.

The reason I said to take off in 3rd gear is because you said you were not liking taking off in 1st gear. A TY250 with 12/55 gearing can start off easily in any gear except 5th.

When I said that you should use the TY250 broad power to your advantage I meant that when riding single track you should avoid rowing up and down through the gears.

I've just seen the photos of your bike and that rear tyre will be making it much harder to ride rocky and loose trails than if you had a competition trials tyre on it with 4 psi.

Feet up fun 

Well now I do have a proper trials tire mounted on the rear wheel it is larger in diameter by maybe 2 inches much softer rubber too. But while I had the wheel off I noticed the wheel bearings were rough, so I am waiting on new ones to arrive

• Like 1

Feet up fun 

I don’t think changing the front sprocket size is going to bring 3rd 4th and 5th any “closer together” it will drop the overall ratio or raise it, but it does nothing to the internal ratios inside the gearbox

7 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

Feet up fun 

I don’t think changing the front sprocket size is going to bring 3rd 4th and 5th any “closer together” it will drop the overall ratio or raise it, but it does nothing to the internal ratios inside the gearbox

It's true that it does nothing for the internal gear ratios but the lower the overall gearing, the closer the bike speed is at the same RPM in successive gears.

Imagine that a bike will do 100 km/h at 5000 RPM in 5th gear with standard gearing and it can do 80 km/h in 4th gear at 5000 RPM. That is a speed difference of 100 - 80 = 20 km/h between those two gears.

Then you gear it down by 10 %.

With the lower gearing it now only does 0.9 x 100 = 90 km/h in 5th gear at 5000 RPM and it does 0.9 x 80 = 72 km/h in 4th gear at 5000 RPM. That is a speed difference of 90 - 72 = 18 km/h difference between those two gears.

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 2