What are you guys running for chains and sprockets and why?

Tillerman6

19 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

4 psi in the rear tire for trail riding? Don’t you get a lot of flats from the tire chafing the tube?

FWIW I usually run about 13psi for fast trail riding and about 8 for gentle with a bit of trialsy play.  4psi is in the range of what you want when you're doing trials competition on slippery surfaces and not great for trails.

21 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

4 psi in the rear tire for trail riding? Don’t you get a lot of flats from the tire chafing the tube?

No I don't. They are made for it. I've been trail riding with trials pressures in competition trials tyres for about 40 years now and the only problem comes if you ride at sustained high speed which can cause them to overheat. If it is trail riding, no issues whatsoever.

What's the point of fitting a rear trials tyre and running high pressure anyway? They are terrible to ride with unless the pressure is down near 4 psi on the rear. Might as well stick with a knobby. It would be better to ride with than a trials tyre with too much pressure in it.

21 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

And where did you find a 55 tooth rear wheel sprocket?

I recently bought one from PBI sprockets in the USA. You can get any sort of rear wheel sprocket from them. When you order you nominate the chain type, number of teeth and the diameter of the hole in the middle. They will even drill the mounting holes for you if you want but I usually do that bit. They are flat sprockets so you need a spacer ring under them to get the chain alignment right.

In my case, I bought a blank sprocket. I had acces to the machine shop where I use to work. After I machined the center hole to size and drilled the bolt hole, I found that when reinstalled the bolt head where brushing the swingharm. I remounted the sprocket on the lathe and took about one third off the tickness of the sprocket on the bolt head side and voila: job done. As for the ease to go from 3rd to 4th, read  David's comment. Right on.

Guy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, feetupfun said:

I recently bought one from PBI sprockets in the USA. You can get any sort of rear wheel sprocket from them. When you order you nominate the chain type, number of teeth and the diameter of the hole in the middle. They will even drill the mounting holes for you if you want but I usually do that bit. They are flat sprockets so you need a spacer ring under them to get the chain alignment right.

Nothing wrong with doing things the hard way if you prefer but PBI also sells the original dished sprockets in your choice of sizes.

5 hours ago, motovita said:

Nothing wrong with doing things the hard way if you prefer but PBI also sells the original dished sprockets in your choice of sizes.

Excellent. I see they do them in 50, 55 and 58 teeth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 6:27 AM, guy53 said:

When I came back to trial, I found the TY too '' fast '' in first gear in tight turn,  I was only riding at our club event and in the yard. That's when I lowerd the gear ratio. After a while, I found a place ( perfect for me ) to practice and ride, nice mountain with trail and unlimited opportunity to make my own sections, after a lot of time on the bike, and the use of a very light clutch, I didn't the first gear as often and as David commented I also found the 3rd to 4th easier to manage. I have to say that my TY is not stock and tune to my liking .

Guy

Guy- you replied but did not say what gear teeth you are running now. Also what mods does the bike have that would affect performance?

I took the weight off the flywheel, cleaned all the port and raise the exhaust port, opened the gas inlet to the cylinder as much as I could ( standard reed valve ) .005 head gasket, Wes exhaust. To help in tight spot, a longer actuator clutch arm with a well oiled cable ( one finger operation ). 

Guy