Bike floods on steep hill climbs

Spencer88

Hello everyone. My kiehen carb seems to be flooding everytime I go up a steep hill climb. By the time I reach the top it bogs out and dies. Takes over 15 mins to get it started again and it is driving me mad. I have set the carb to standard spec and have cleaned it through with cleaner and compressed air. New plug and has a strong spark. Fitted new reed petals and new air filter on.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 👍

Edited by Spencer88

14 minutes ago, misscrabstick said:

make sure the overflow hoses are clear, double check the float height, I assume you tried a new float, needle and seating.

Im going to try playing with the float height again. Pretty sure it's set as it should be. All the overflow and passages are clear. Changed everything in the carb a few months ago as it was burning through fuel fairly quickly. 

5 minutes ago, lineaway said:

Are you sure it`s not just running out of fuel?

Flooding would be fuel leaking and a wet plug.

Had only been out 30 mins with a full tank so definitely wasn't run out. Never pulled the plug, just gave up and put it in the van as my son was still riding. Other occasions I have managed to get it running again after lots of kicking with fuel off and throttle open then turning fuel back on, no throttle and it starts. 

Next time remove your gas cap. Somehow you are not getting fuel I bet. 

Just because you have fuel in the tank, you still could not have fiel in the carb.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, lineaway said:

Next time remove your gas cap. Somehow you are not getting fuel I bet. 

Just because you have fuel in the tank, you still could not have fiel in the carb.

I removed that daft ball valve from the fuel cap as I had this problem previously. Fuel is flowing properly now. Put a clear fuel pipe on when I was rectifying that fault 

• Like 2

The only thing that can affect engine performance with gradient changes is the float height.

I am presuming the same thing doesn't happen when you rev the bike on the flat?

But does the same thing happen if you are not revving the bike and are on a hill? For example if you had the bike on tickover and just lifted the front wheel up onto a rock to replicate the angle of the steep hill does it do the same thing? If it does the only thing that can really be effected by the angle of the bike is the float height.

If it doesn't do the same thing when not revving and lifting the front wheel then it must be that the bike isn't getting enough fuel when you rev it going up a hill (presuming it's fine when you rev it on the flat). This to me would suggest that either the float level isn't correct and its shutting off the valve when upright (but that should happen when it was stood still with the front wheel elevated too) or something else is causing the fuel to be starved when you go up a hill, possibly a vacuum in the tank caused by a blocked breather.

21 minutes ago, ksv said:

The only thing that can affect engine performance with gradient changes is the float height.

I am presuming the same thing doesn't happen when you rev the bike on the flat?

But does the same thing happen if you are not revving the bike and are on a hill? For example if you had the bike on tickover and just lifted the front wheel up onto a rock to replicate the angle of the steep hill does it do the same thing? If it does the only thing that can really be effected by the angle of the bike is the float height.

If it doesn't do the same thing when not revving and lifting the front wheel then it must be that the bike isn't getting enough fuel when you rev it going up a hill (presuming it's fine when you rev it on the flat). This to me would suggest that either the float level isn't correct and its shutting off the valve when upright (but that should happen when it was stood still with the front wheel elevated too) or something else is causing the fuel to be starved when you go up a hill, possibly a vacuum in the tank caused by a blocked breather.

Thanks very much for the response. Yes the bike is fine other than steep hills. I will lift the front end tonight and see if it does it again and then re adjust the float height. Any idea of why it's so hard to start after? 

If you are getting fuel to the carb, it sounds like to me your floats might be sticking. My last Beta would do that upon a large impact with a rock or log. Drove me nuts. Changed out the floats and valve which cured it. The day I sold it did it again loading into the new owners truck.

4 hours ago, lineaway said:

If you are getting fuel to the carb, it sounds like to me your floats might be sticking. My last Beta would do that upon a large impact with a rock or log. Drove me nuts. Changed out the floats and valve which cured it. The day I sold it did it again loading into the new owners truck

Thanks for the input, sounds about right what's happening to mine. First time it bogged out I had jumped up a step. Got a new float arriving tomorrow so gonna change and test it by lifting the front wheel. 

Did the guy still buy your Beta?