HELP WITH DATE/YEAR 70'S MONTESA COTA

eastcarz

Hello new to the forum and looking some help I have acquired a lovely little 1970's montesa cota been told its a 123 or 172 I have engine number 19MO252 and matches on frame can anyone shed some light on year and model? 

Appreciate your help in advance 

IMG_20210511_204406.jpg

IMG_20210511_204531.jpg

It is an early 172 probably 1975 considering the engine number. Others may have more knowledge, but I don't think there is a definitive way to find the year of most Montesa's. They did model runs which may have gone for a couple of years, unlike Japanese bikes. 

Does your bike run?

I rebuilt a 172 recently and they are a great bike to ride. I didn't have any issues finding parts and the piston for these are cheap compared to other Montesa's and Bultaco's.

Hi  , southwest montesa in   USA ,,has lots info  , mf 172 1974 to 76   Numbers produced 1990 , by southwest info ,,  Looks to been in barn for a while  lots , wd40 or  auto trans fluid  it let it soak , have fun on your new project ,, lots help with this club ,, , I have 200 cota 1984  project , it was parked in back yard  for a while   had ,,bugs under the seat ,, exposed rain , eng still turned over ,  its under repair ,  ,good luck cheers 

Edited by larry s. k.
Add info

I found Inmotion good to deal with. If you need to cast your net a bit wider these guys in Spain are great to deal with. https://www.motosdelabuelo.com/index_en.html . There is an Ebay seller in the USA, Cyclesavant, who is also good to deal with. They bought all of the stock from Rocky Mountain Montesa and Southwest Montesa and have a lot of good used parts as well as NOS. Some of the Ebay sellers want crazy prices for used parts which can be bought new for a fraction of the cost, so it pays to shop around. 

What is the story with the 172 and what do you plan to do with it?

Thanks for info cota 172  your are correct as to the parts being a ransom postage to ship it to uk/Northern Ireland is twice as much as the part lol I'm hoping to restore this one project for my son and myself and have a little fun at weekend 

Can anyone shed light on the frame numbers below and how to work it out is the 19 meaning 1970's  the MO standing for Montesa and 252 mean its the 252nd bike made...

19MO252

* Can't work out is the O letter O or is it the number 0 ??

On 5/13/2021 at 11:36 AM, majesty said:

If anyone needs a parts list and owners manual for the Cota 172, PM me your e mail address and I can send you one 

darrell2000@hotmail.co.uk

cheers Majety

• Like 1

19M is the model code for the Cota 172. 0252 is the serial number which corresponds to the order the bikes were built in. As mentioned yours would be the 252nd bike built. From what I understand the 172 was released in October 1974 and I don't know how to tell the exact date they were built. Yours is an early one. 

The serial number is important when ordering parts as Montesa updated their bikes from a certain serial number, not by year like most other bikes.

Edited by cota172

• 3 weeks later...

This is a big help COTA172 it will certainly help me with restoration of this one I was also concidering registering it for the road but unsure if this will be a nightmare or not if any help can be given on this. 

• 2 years later...