rear shock

AlanC

Hi folks,

Can someone tell me this.. Do shocks wear out on a  trials bike? Or  since the one I have would need to be drilled, are they like a standard road bike and just fade a bit. Or is the damping that important on them. Its an old Gasgas

Thanks

You need to take the shock off the bike, then take the spring off, push down on shock to see if it has good/ any rebound ? If there is little or no rebound it is definitely time for a rebuild, it depends what sort of & how much riding you do ?

I usually rebuild my shocks after about 1k klms of trail bike riding, with a trials bike i suppose you could get a good year out of it, if it has never been touch i would definitely open it up & have an inspection of all parts & reoil & regas it !

Edited by eagle8

Yes they ware out in a few ways.  Some of them are, that the oil brakes down, the seals ware out, if you loose to much nitrogen it will almost always cause a shock to leak, etc. 

My 2 cents, for what its worth, is that If the shock is not serviceable but you like the way the bike rides, and your a tight wad, use it tell you feel it doesn't ride nice and replace it, or ride it tell it would normally be time to rebuild and then replace it with a serviceable shock. 

When mine needed service I decided to change it out for a custom setup that is more plush than my original and really like the way the bike rides now but even just a nice lower cost serviceable shock would work great in my opinion. 

Good luck with what ever you end up doing. 

Edited by jonnyc21

Thanks for the replies folks. Testing the shock with no spring on it would be good idea. But I wouldn't know how much damping it should have in the first place. It's old, and I'm just pottering about on it for fun at the moment. I've did it up a bit, so I'll try it and if it has no grip and can't get up the hills, I'll know its the shock as its the only thing I haven't done. 

• 1 month later...

I do what eagle8 said. I remove the spring, and put the comp and rebound adjusters in mid position. It should take a bit of force to compress the damper (your working against the gas pressure and oil damping). When you release the damper it should return in a  firm controlled manner. You can play with the adjusters and notice a change in damping rate