IF THE CHAIN BREAKS AND GETS STUCK ?

Tillerman6

l long time back I read on here that some guys were cutting away part of the left side chain cover to prevent the possibility of the chain getting jammed between the front sprocket and the cases.  Has anyone done this mod to the TY 250 A and exactly where is the correct place to cut?

Pics please if you can!

Some people cut the TY250 LHS cover back to expose the sprocket to allow better mud clearing. Where I live it is compulsory to guard the front sprocket in competition use and we don't get much mud so it's very rare to see shortened covers here.

Never heard of it being done to help prevent chain problems following a chain failure and I can't see how it would help with that.

On the TY175 in the 1970s, it was common to cut the LHS cover in two so you could change the front sprocket without taking the flywheel cover off. The rear half of the cover was still held in place by two screws so you still had the sprocket guarded. People did this because TY175s were often used for both trials riding and for trail riding and on the road so owners were frequently changing out the front sprocket. I was one of those riders in the 1970s and used a 13T for trials and a 15T for trail riding and a 16T for road riding.

Here's a photo of a TY250 with the later model LH cover shortened found after about 20 seconds of searching google images.

TY 250 Yamaha Twinshock 1977.jpg

• Like 2

By coincidence I have just fitted a shortened cover to my TY250, only to save the completely undamaged original. They are expensive now and hard to find, the one I have fitted was badly cracked, but JB Weld has done a brilliant repair. If you are worried about chain damage it might be worth making a case saver similar to this only which quickly popped up on a search. The one in the pic is for a later Mono engine, but you get the idea.

Case saver.jpg