Ariel 500 bike help/identirication

surreyspeedshop

Hello everyone,

Im a new member, I recently bought a Ariel trials bike and don't really know what I have.

I used to do pre65 trials on a T100 Triumph trials bike and have always wanted a big 500 Ariel, so I took the plunge.

Can anyone shed some light on to my bike? Would love to know who built the frame etc.

Thanks everyone
Alex

20210515_121337.jpg

20210515_121314.jpg

20210515_121325.jpg

• Like 2

I can't be sure, but the frame looks very like the one I had a few years back. That one was made by the late Alan Brown from Bristol. Having a Monobloc carb on it shows it as being a good few years old too. Thats going to be a big heavy handfull... 

I gave up on mine and sold it,my little,(By comparison) rigid 350 AJS is much easier to ride,steers better,has softer,more controllable power. Just more difficult on big rocks or steps etc. HT5's are nice bikes, but in most cases the 500 engine is too much,and unless they are very trick they can be heavy and hard work.

• Like 1

Money spent on the mag and carb will be the two areas I'd go for first. The Amal Premier carbs are great, a decent carb and spark then the rest is fiddling. Do you know if its got trials ratio's in the gearbox ? A set of Mick Ash gears in the box also is a huge benefit if its still on a road cluster.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

It looks like a frame that Miller had made in the late 70'. He did a batch of 10 I think.The rear gussets enlarged for the oil tank as per Sam's  The swinging arm is non Ariel but it came with the frame.

I remember having a good look at them in his shop but could not afford one so I made my own.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...