Heavy clutch

Olitrs300

Hi, I recently noticed my clutch on my 2018 trs rr is overly heavy compared to other bikes. On inspection of the clutch pack it measures 9.8 which is just below spec but should make it lighter if anything. The finger height is under spec at 12.7. Anyone have any idea what is wrong and how to fix it?

cheers 

A mate of mine has just had a brand new 2021 250 TRS RR and the clutch is heavy on that compared to my gas gas and other modern bikes I've ridden. This was one of 2 things that puts me off having a TRS; 1 -heavy clutch, 2 - stearing on tight corners the front wants to wash out.

Other than that, nice bike. 

• Like 1

Yes I’ve heard the clutch on them is heavier than other bikes, however comparing mine to another 2018 rr (identical bike) mine was much heavier which leads me to believe that somethings wrong with it. What that may be I do not know though! 

What I never understand with the clutch pack measurements is how hard you are supposed to squeeze the vernier guage ? 

9.85 mm is the ideal but depending how strong you are and the amount of oil on the plates you can get 0.5mm difference?

Difficult to measure without disassembly  

On 5/20/2021 at 5:31 AM, Intotrials said:

A mate of mine has just had a brand new 2021 250 TRS RR and the clutch is heavy on that compared to my gas gas and other modern bikes I've ridden. This was one of 2 things that puts me off having a TRS; 1 -heavy clutch, 2 - stearing on tight corners the front wants to wash out.

Other than that, nice bike. 

That`s an under statement. It washes out in the ruble unexpectedly. I got to section 8 at a low traction trials 2 weekends ago, drove straight back to the pits and put a for sale sign on it and it was gone in 24 hours.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 7:23 AM, Olitrs300 said:

Yes I’ve heard the clutch on them is heavier than other bikes, however comparing mine to another 2018 rr (identical bike) mine was much heavier which leads me to believe that somethings wrong with it. What that may be I do not know though! 

The higher the fingers, the lighter the feel. They also make a soft retainer ring, see your dealer. The type of oil can make a difference too. Nils Clutch trial is an improvement or your m/c could use a rebuild kit.

Why are they so noisy also? gas gas have always had a reputation for noisy clutches, but they work well and operate really light and smooth so you sort of get used to the noise. The new TRS are not only heavy but execssively noisy, its very annoying! 

• 3 months later...

• 2 years later...