GasGas EC 250 starting issues.

Sonni

hello, About two weeks ago i purchased a GasGas ec 250 1999 as a first Enduro bike. having come from trials and to a bike with a seat feels very wierd :) the bike has had a new piston (in the words of the seller). the bikes does start but its very temperamental and can take up to 50-60 kicks to start I've had it running twice and now it doesn't at all. I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it hoping it would help and nothings changed. I've fitted new ignition coil and bits here and there (electrical) as it had no existing electrics apart from the cdi unit and there is now a spark. when I kick over the bike I cant tell whether it sounds normal or not having heard 2 stroke trials. it sounds rough and rattily, but there's plenty of compression and it turns over perfect, also when it runs it sounds as it should but somethings a miss. Im now stuck at this point... does anybody have any suggestions to what i should do or what the issue could be. thanks

Sonni Magic 

• 1 month later...

Am I too late to this party? did you ever get this sorted? I would say something blocking the choke or pilot circuit. My 2013 ec300 can be a bear to start if I let it sit un started too long. Helps to tip the bike all the way over towards the choke side till you see some fuel run out the overflow. Would a 1999 have a Keihin carb? Would check condition of the reeds as well. 

Edited by Glayne
add info