No stop

midlife

11 hours ago, baldilocks said:

It's stop permitted this year with a time limit.

it was that and some more. Guys were basically crashing / falling / "fiveing" obstacles (hugh steps/logs/etc) then remounting and trying again, finishing the section. Its either a well faught three or a genreous three (hell i wouldn't/couldn't ride what they did) - but the key question is, "is this trials?" my gut feals its not right. if its what people want from trials then surley these threes need to be seperated from the threes and twos and ones of the riders who have actually ridden (be it non stop or stop) the section ???

• Like 3

Should be renamed Enduro perhaps.

I haven't watched it but have always wondered how an allowed stop is allowed. Sure the obstacles have become mighty and the level of bike control epic.

Call me old school but a stop is a stop.

• Like 2

Stop permitted makes sense for these types of trials, trying to define a "stop" these days is difficult enough without the added pressure of observing the major championships. The time limit is a good idea, though speaking to some of the competitors they found the time a bit tight and really rushing through the sections. Maybe they should increase the limit from 60 seconds to 80, or perhaps keep the 60 with an added one mark penalty for anything 10-20 seconds over time?

As for going backwards, this is a real gripe of mine and I witnessed many riders blatantly going backwards quite a way. A rider takes a back wheel hop and the bike moves a miniscule amount backwards is not gaining an advantage. But when they back up a few feet that's another story.

There were only 5 riders in the main class, what does that tell you about how the sport is going? 

1 minute ago, Intotrials said:

Yes, that's my understanding, though I could be mistaken. 

If that's the case, it sounds just as much of a minefield making the call did they go backwards !

They are now allowed to go backwards, but not with foot or feet down ( although it said in the programme that they couldn't ).

The time thing is a tricky one, as introtrials says maybe points for being over time, there's probably never going to be an ideal scoring method whilst keeping the whole thing within a reasonable time restraint for the day, but I do have to say that generally its the best riders that are winning still.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, b40rt said:

If that's the case, it sounds just as much of a minefield making the call did they go backwards !

I understand your point but I don't think its quite the same. If its "no stop" its difficult to visually define a stop especially when the riders are say flip turning etc... But if someone stops and reverses, its easier to see them actually going in the opposite direction. Don't get me wrong there will always be the ambiguity, but someone physically pulling the bike backwards is easier to spot. 

Edited by Intotrials
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, peter_steer said:

They are now allowed to go backwards, but not with foot or feet down ( although it said in the programme that they couldn't ).

The time thing is a tricky one, as introtrials says maybe points for being over time, there's probably never going to be an ideal scoring method whilst keeping the whole thing within a reasonable time restraint for the day, but I do have to say that generally its the best riders that are winning still.

The organisers ought to make their minds up and clearly define what rules apply, then those rules should be adhered to with no exception regardless! Personally I think allowing reversing again is a step backwards (no pun intended). In the rules you are not allowed to cross over your previous line, going backwards you are doing just this. 

Yes, generally the best riders continue to win as things tend to even out over the course of an event. 

I observed the Southern Experts a couple of years ago when that was a strictly enforced No-Stop. The stops were just about impossible to judge; I'm sure we were harsh on some people and lenient on others, even though trying to be fair and objective. A lot of riders weren't happy because the sections were tight and really demanded a lot of hopping and stopping. At that level, I think Stop Allowed (while feet-up) and some sort of time limit is the way to go. 

• Like 1

I think perhaps time may be useful to get people to ride non stop if that's what riders and organisers want ? Ease the severity make the sections longer and reversing or stopping increases the risk of running out of time. It's not traditional trials but it may be a reasonable solution?

On 6/2/2021 at 7:43 PM, peter_steer said:

You are quite correct and it was me who was mistaken, reversing is feet up is permitted now! Thank you

I still stand by my opinion that allowing reversing is a poor decision, though the time limit element does stop them messing about in the sections which is good.