Pin hole in Evo silencer

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there. I noticed a few black drops on my garage floor. Thought it was transmission oil at first but when I sniffed it I realised it was exhaust gunk. Thought it would be coming from where the front pipe meets the silencer but when I looked the underside of the silencer had a small covering of black gunk on it and some had dropped on the floor. I cleaned up the area and fired up the bike to see where it was coming from as I couldn't see a hole. Eventually a tiny drop formed and got bigger. The hole must be tiny and must be a pin hole. Can't see any crack. 

Ive just got the packing to repack the silencer and I was wondering how I could fix the hole without getting it TIG welded. I was thinking about drilling a 2mm hole where the pin hole is and neatly plug it with JB weld. It could then be sanded flush. Do people think this would work ? It's not a particularly hot part of the exhaust system. Oddly no gases seem to be coming out if it. 

Ive also leaned out the air screw a bit. It was 1.5 turns out and I've now moved it to 2 out. Plug was blackish too. This area is probably the lowest point of the silencer to likely to pool with gunk if over rich I guess.

I've included a photo of area.

IMG_20210602_095038_3~2.jpg

5 hours ago, b40rt said:

Any good quality glue like mytre bond will fix if.

Quite so.  If a job's worth doing, it's worth bodging.  You could even try chewing gum or what about wallpaper paste.

Or, you could do it properly.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stpauls said:

Quite so.  If a job's worth doing, it's worth bodging.  You could even try chewing gum or what about wallpaper paste.

Or, you could do it properly.

Your obviously not qualified to comment, stick to polishing and leave riding to those who understand. Have a nice day.

• Haha 1

Good evening,

How about a bit of chemical metal, it worked on my daughters cars exhaust for years.

Regarding the colour of your plug, all my Evos have always been on the dark side, Lampkins said not to worry about it too much, just go by engine response. I found that if i turn the mixture screw out, i then experience bogging on the bottom if I turn the throttle quickly.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, peter_steer said:

Good evening,

How about a bit of chemical metal, it worked on my daughters cars exhaust for years.

Regarding the colour of your plug, all my Evos have always been on the dark side, Lampkins said not to worry about it too much, just go by engine response. I found that if i turn the mixture screw out, i then experience bogging on the bottom if I turn the throttle quickly.

I will bear that in mind. Certainly when I bought the bike it ran with a text book tan colour plug. However since I stripped and rebuilt the carb and sorted out the cold engine bogging it is now black. I'll see what it's like after my next ride at 2 turns out. 

Some exhausts have a hole in a low part to drain any water that condenses, so don't worry about it.   The carb screw only adjusts the slow running mixture, so not too likely to cause a black plug.   It is more likely main jet or needle position, but first check the air-filter, as a blocked one will richen everything up.

• Like 1