280 TXT Racing - loading up at first start

Bauer

Hello everyone

I have an issue that's puzzling me. I have a 2017 280 TXT Racing. I've noticed recently that after starting the bike, and letting it warm up for 3-5 mins (choke for only about 30 seconds of that) - when I first start out, the motor seems like it's loaded up. It's almost like it's missing - lack of power. After another 2 mins or so of riding, it evens out and runs like a champ the rest of the day, even after long stretches of sitting. I believe the bike is jetted correctly. I consistently run 100:1

Two changes I've made in the last few months:

1. Changed from Yamalube to Motul for my mix. Bike seems to like it, can't imagine this is it

2. It occurred to me today that I started using the Rain mode on the selector about the time I noticed this behavior. I'm not sure this isn't just coincidence, as the bike runs fine the rest of the day, but maybe not....

Anyone have any other thoughts?

thanks!

Michael

Interesting observation. I too have a GG (two in fact) which experience the same initial 'loading". Could it have anything to do with the exhaust system not yet being at an operational temperature, and so the bike doesn't exhaust as well as is required? Being a two stroke our engines are dependent upon a back-pressure to maintain the fuel charge in the cylinder. Perhaps the pressure isn't correct when things are "cold"? Or perhaps the heat eventually better seats/seals the rings? Or the spark plug resistance is lowered so that the spark is stronger?

7 minutes ago, d2w said:

Interesting observation. I too have a GG (two in fact) which experience the same initial 'loading". Could it have anything to do with the exhaust system not yet being at an operational temperature, and so the bike doesn't exhaust as well as is required? Being a two stroke our engines are dependent upon a back-pressure to maintain the fuel charge in the cylinder. Perhaps the pressure isn't correct when things are "cold"? Or perhaps the heat eventually better seats/seals the rings? Or the spark plug resistance is lowered so that the spark is stronger?

I've wondered about all of your points as well. I would have just expected that after a 5 min warm up, it would be, well, warm enough for the exhaust and the rings - perhaps not. Glad I'm not going crazy and others are experiencing it. 

Out of curiosity, do yours do this in either mode? (Sun and Rain?) I have an event and I may test my theory by putting it back in Sun mode to start. Just figured I would ask the collective if there's something else I'm missing. 

• Like 1

I have a 2021 300 GP and it's exactly the same. I'd much rather it run perfectly when it's up to temperature, than sacrifice something to make it run a bit cleaner when it's cold.

6 hours ago, ksv said:

I have a 2021 300 GP and it's exactly the same. I'd much rather it run perfectly when it's up to temperature, than sacrifice something to make it run a bit cleaner when it's cold.

Completely agree - I was just trying to get to the bottom of it in the event I was missing something. It's just odd to me.