I've Entered a Trial - But Am I ready?

JonM

I bought my first trials bike in December last year, rode it for the first time Sun Jan 3rd... 

..and not again until lockdown allowed in April. 

I'm a cowardly novice that can do rudimentary basics, but that's it.

I've entered a Sidcup Club (Canada Heights) practice trial as I'm keen to try real sections and learn more, but know I'll be either getting fives or taking fives everywhere! 

Will my lack of ability frustrate more seasoned riders, or is it accepted (dare I even say encouraged?) that new riders need to start somewhere? 

If you have entered Sidcup's evening practice trials, they are just that. No one will be there with a clipboard scrutinising your every move.

There's usually a good atmosphere at practice and wobbler trials and they are held for people just like you, ok some more experienced do turn up, they need the practice the same as everyone else, but most will still remember they were just like you once.

You might even get some help off of a few of them.

If you are without a club I know Bexleyheath MCC pride themselves on setting out some very good club trials that accomodate every level of rider, they even had intro days, plus the North Kent Combine (which Bexleyheath are part of) did run a very good wobbler series pre covid, they might be starting that again by now.

• Thanks 1

Ask for a 5 if you aren't comfortable with a section, pay attention on the route between sections as at some venues it can be harder than the sections themselves. Most riders will be supportive but as in all walks of life some d*ck might moan when you're stuck in a section. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, all those comments are very useful and supportive. I'm not adverse to coming last (finished at the back plenty of times) and I've got a few trophies in other disciplines to balance it. 

Goudrons2, I've been learning at Poles Wood so have joined Southend District MCC but I live in the Borough of Thurrock so have unlimited crossings of Dartford. This means that events around North Kent are a possibility for me. 

Some clubs run a "Gentleman's" route; ie pass through the start and end gates and go where you like in-between. They're good for beginners because you can try to do the full easy route but dodge any little bits you're not happy about. As you've entered a practice trial no-one will be marking you so simply avoid the bits you don't like. It's preferable to missing out a section altogether.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Some clubs run a "Gentleman's" route; ie pass through the start and end gates and go where you like in-between. They're good for beginners because you can try to do the full easy route but dodge any little bits you're not happy about. As you've entered a practice trial no-one will be marking you so simply avoid the bits you don't like. It's preferable to missing out a section altogether.

Thanks, I'm looking out for local events which cater to novices. I've taken a look at the North Kent Trials Combine as suggested by Goudrons2, too. 

17 hours ago, JonM said:

Thanks, I'm looking out for local events which cater to novices. I've taken a look at the North Kent Trials Combine as suggested by Goudrons2, too. 

Join a club.

Most will run a club trial once a month, usually they are self score, though you don't have to score yourself if you don't want.

The club will usually be in a local area with others (combine) and you can often ride in some of their club trials along with the area or combine events (each local club hosts a trial with routes for every level of rider, you will be expected to help out on your clubs event rather than ride in it).

With a club in say the North Kent combine, this should give to access to two events per month with suitable routes. 

Another weekend will see some clubs host Centre events, like South Eastern Centre. These are a step up so probably won't interest you just yet unless they set a route out that's suitable.

On the odd "off weekend", one of the local clubs might host a wobbler event, similar to a club trial but open to all members in that particular combine to turn up and practice.

Riding with other club members in organised or semi organised club/wobbler trials should give you plenty back in regards to your riding.

You'll be able to study other riders fairly closely riding the same terrian and sections you will tackle, plus there's usually more than enough people around to give you some pointers (and call the ambulance if it all goes wrong 😁)

Already have! 😁

(I've raced short circuit & motocross so am familiar with ACU membership + club requirements.)

I joined Southend District MCC, albeit I've yet to have any confirmation or correspondence from them... 

Jon

me and my team will be laying out the trial at Canada Heights. We hope to have around 15 sections with two to three routes; one easy (for newcomers), one as easy novice and one as easy intermediates. as said above no obsevers so less pressure, some sections you will find easy while others might have a skill set you hadven't mastered yet that you'll want to work on. there will be a wide array of riders there, ranging from the regular guys who ride every weekend to very occasional riders, tiwnshocks, pre65s, youths, etc (even sidecars).

Erith club have a NKTC round (a covid practice trial this time) at Horsmonden this weekend, entries should still be avaliable on the ACU online entry site. Keep an eye out for Bexleyheath and OWLS club trials as well as other events around.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rabie said:

Jon

me and my team will be laying out the trial at Canada Heights. We hope to have around 15 sections with two to three routes; one easy (for newcomers), one as easy novice and one as easy intermediates. as said above no obsevers so less pressure, some sections you will find easy while others might have a skill set you hadven't mastered yet that you'll want to work on. there will be a wide array of riders there, ranging from the regular guys who ride every weekend to very occasional riders, tiwnshocks, pre65s, youths, etc (even sidecars).

Erith club have a NKTC round (a covid practice trial this time) at Horsmonden this weekend, entries should still be avaliable on the ACU online entry site. Keep an eye out for Bexleyheath and OWLS club trials as well as other events around.

Rabie, that is so helpful- thank you. Are you with Sidcup Club? I think I might join them. 

This weekend I'm planning on riding at Poles Wood with my dad who has a '71 Bultaco Sherpa and got me into this (riding the Bultaco last October was my first taste of trials) but I'll definitely enter some of the other events. 

I have a LOT to learn about the sport but really enjoying wobbling around. 

Yes mate, for my sins i'm on the club committee, etc and i and many others do loads of work to make it all happen. you'll find me about on wednesday night on my beta evo once i get out of work.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2021 at 12:59 PM, trapezeartist said:

Some clubs run a "Gentleman's" route; ie pass through the start and end gates and go where you like in-between.

Must admit I have never seen that done before, but it seems like a very good idea.   Might try to get our club to allow that, cos it would be good to try some of the easier expert bits, once in a while.