Milky Coolant (Again) - 2006 Rev03

Inny

My lad's just noticed that his 2006 Rev03 coolant looks "milky" again (see photo), despite carrying out an in-depth overhaul of the clutch and casings. He was initially experiencing the typical clutch drag issues but after removing the clutch, we found that the inner clutch case had perforated. As a result, he's carried out the following:

Replaced inner clutch case, associated bearings and seals (including the cover gasket and O-ring).

Replaced water pump bearings and seals.

Replaced clutch plates, basket and primary drive.

Replaced oil and coolant.

To be honest, we're both now at our wits end over this. He's owned the bike for nigh on a year and still hasn't had chance to ride it due to the work he's been doing on it (he's also replaced fork seals, wipers and oil, exhaust O-rings and oil seals, removed and cleaned the air box and replaced the air filter).

Does anybody have an idea what else we've missed? Could it be that the water pump shaft should have been replaced at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20210606_141300.jpg

Yes it could be the shaft, the seal can wear a groove in it.

You don't say if it's been used since the work, if its done this on first ride it might just be some residue, it takes a couple of changes to clear it.

34 minutes ago, totty79 said:

Yes it could be the shaft, the seal can wear a groove in it.

You don't say if it's been used since the work, if its done this on first ride it might just be some residue, it takes a couple of changes to clear it.

Cheers for that. It's probably had 15 minutes running time since the work and hasn't been ridden. Would you suggest changing the oil again straight away or keep an eye on it for now to see if it worsens? He certainly didn't experience any clutch drag when putting it in gear. I've also thought - would it be worth sampling the coolant to see if that's contaminated as well (my reasoning being that any failure of seals, etc could cause contamination both ways)? With the perforated case it was obvious that both were contaminated.

17 minutes ago, totty79 said:

I'd ride it briefly and change the oil while it's hot. Worth taking a look at the coolant.

Thanks. We'll try that next although he can't get out to ride at the moment so will just need to run up and down the driveway a few times. We'll make sure it's hot first.