Intermittent fan issue

Stuarty

Hi there, I have an issue with the fan on a 2016 Beta Evo 250cc Factory, The fan is running intermittently & when it runs the rear light goes on & when it stops the light goes off - Strange! The fan is not running as it should so the bike would run very hot  if I was using it. I will not use until I resolve the issue.

Anybody experience this before? & have any suggestion to help me on my way.

Thanks

Stuart

I believe you are experiencing a short somewhere in the headlight harness, that prevents the DC voltage from properly getting to your radiator fan & tail light. I noticed in my 16 Evo 300, when the headlight was connected; there are 2 insulated pins that connect to Halogen bulb and the insulation wore through letting the 2 wires have intermittent short-circuit. The above solution that lineaway suggests would help resolve this issue.

It sounds like you are missing a ground connection. When the thremo-switch closes the electrics are finding ground through the fan circuit. Some of the earlier Betas (non LED lights) ran their lighting systems off the same ac that feeds the rectifier that feeds dc to the fan. Newer Betas run lights off the dc out of the rectifier. As stated, check for broken wires and good ground connections. Beta has done some creative wiring in the past that has led to these oddball symptoms.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Dan, l manage to find the issue. One of the wires at the light unit is chaffed so its been shorting / earthing out. I have just disconnected the light unit from the loom for know and the fans is working as it should.