300 RR Steaming

ohai

Hi All, new rider to trials bikes. I couldn't find a bike anywhere and mate offered me a TRS without a model. Graphics say 300 RR but no year - anyone have a link to a VIN decoder?

I've bought it and I know it's not the right usage but I've been using it to get around the farm/move cows. It's great fun pootling around doing fig 8's in the dark winter nights. Rarely get out of 1st gear, walking would often be faster.

Last night when I got back the radiator was steaming from the pressure relief valve on top of the radiator. Obviously that's pretty concerning - what's the normal troubleshooting steps? I haven't heard the fan kick in and can't find a thermoswitch. Should it be able to idle around for an hour without steaming?

Cheers

The fan should switch on after 3 or 4 minutes of riding at most.  Your thermostat switch or fan appears to be giving you a problem.  You can use a battery to test the fan, and a meter or a flashllight bulb to test the thermostat.  You'll be able to find the thermostat switch when you follow the wires from the fan. They are typically screwed into the radiator and have two wires coming out.  One wire goes to the output of the stator, and one goes to the fan.  

Stat is fitted to the underside of the radiator near where the exhaust exits the cylinder. The cables are routed between the rad and the frame tube on the ignition side of the engine.

The good news is if you look under the headstock above the radiator you should be able to see the thermostat cables. They connect into another set, just bullet connectors. If you disconnect those from the stat and pair the other two you have by passed the stat. Kick it over and the fan should spin immediately,  if it does its just the stat that's not working. 

If that doesn't fix it it's the fan motor or the power to it, could be loose connection. Finally people have had those pressure valves stick closed on various bikes and its popped the head o rings instead. Haven't heard of one letting pressure out too soon  but they are only £5 so worth changing. 

Thank you baldilocks, great description! Even a numpty like me could follow.

Shorting the thermoswitch out had the fan running (so quiet!!) so that narrows it down and I'll try to find a switch. Thanks again