Ski plate needed- make or purchase?

Tillerman6

Yesterday while raising my bike onto the support stand I heard a crack sound- looked down and there was a crack straight thru one of the corner bolt holes in my original fiberglass plate.  So I figured that if it is breaking just lifting the bike onto the stand- what's it going to do on a rock or tree trunk in the field?  Anyway- not too long ago somebody in Australia had mentioned that they had made some new aluminum skid plates for an A model TY 250.  I am now officially ready for one if they are still available.   If not, what is the best thickness of material to make one of these plates? Any patterns or measurements would also be helpful.  I'm thinking 6061 T6 but not sure how to bend it properly.

1 hour ago, feetupfun said:

I just tried to post up some contact info for the seller in Australia but suspect I broke a rule for this forum so all I'll say is yes he is still selling them.  

you can email me at ewew921@gmail.com and I promise I won't tell a soul!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

Yesterday while raising my bike onto the support stand I heard a crack sound- looked down and there was a crack straight thru one of the corner bolt holes in my original fiberglass plate.  So I figured that if it is breaking just lifting the bike onto the stand- what's it going to do on a rock or tree trunk in the field?  Anyway- not too long ago somebody in Australia had mentioned that they had made some new aluminum skid plates for an A model TY 250.  I am now officially ready for one if they are still available.   If not, what is the best thickness of material to make one of these plates? Any patterns or measurements would also be helpful.  I'm thinking 6061 T6 but not sure how to bend it properly.

I have a used alu plate for your bike in Chattaroy, WA. I'm going to look for the peg mounts you asked about tomorrow. I'll send you my phone #.

Edited by motovita

23 hours ago, motovita said:

I have a used alu plate for your bike in Chattaroy, WA. I'm going to look for the peg mounts you asked about tomorrow. I'll send you my phone #.

23 hours ago, motovita said:

Got it cleaned up and made the spacers this afternoon. Front spacers are .75" tall and the rear ones will be close to .400.   It will need some tweaking, but the 4 bolt holes line up fine with the frame.  I might trim off some of the width on the left and right rear outside edges just for looks.  Tomorrow I can get some longer bolts and finish up the initial installation. 

THanks Motovita!