07 txt pro

Dannydangles

Hello, been creeping the forum for awhile now and was hoping you guys could help me work through an issue!

07 gas gas txt pro, bought this year, bike was like new with original tires, been having a blast using it to poach mountain biking and hiking trails.  
Brought it with me on a trip and had to do a creek crossing, it was a little deeper than expected and the bike died when I got to the other side, kicked it over for 30 min and finally went.   Then I had to go back across, well soon as I hit the water same issue.  This time I kicked the poor thing over for an hour and got it started, was running terrible , misfiring etc.  Now it won’t start. Performed the following

Cleaned Carb etc and no go.  

Checked for spark and seems there is none

installed New plug and no go.

checked continuity of plug wire and resistance for plug cap 5k ohm (seems ok)

Checked resistance across stator and I have 1.0 ohm (seems ok) 

Checked resistance across coil and I have 2200 ohm (seems ok?)

checked resistance across magnetic pickup and I have 250 ohm (seems ok)

I am having troubles identifying the ignition system? I recall the previous owner mentioning it was upgraded from the Ducati but I can’t tell, I’m away from my shop and do not have the tools to pull the flywheel.  Here is a pic of my ignition system, and the wiring matches the Ducati pictured below as well.  Hoping for some help identifying so I can perform more thorough troubleshooting and order parts/upgrade.

16ADC1DA-56BA-4FD7-8C0B-A89817866C1A.jpeg

5FD04EC7-010E-43C5-94A5-A6AB533BA6C5.jpeg

DEB4281D-CE85-4A0F-AE3D-250D4C9E2BFF.jpeg

96081EB4-123B-4ED5-B725-95DFC0251B99.png

Edited by Dannydangles

I've drowned several Montesas over the years, the first one I pushed home and the next day emptied out what water was left in the crank case.

A new set of big end bearings swiftly followed my costly mistake.

Since then I've always had the bike immediately upside down, spark plug out and turned it over for several minutes,  then a quick strip of the float bowl.

You must've been in pretty deep to affect the upper electrics, hence my story. In theory the breather pipe should be the only way into the casing if that's the source of your troubles.

It doesn't look like Ducati which is a silver finned box with Ducati written on it. They are known to go bad and the common replacement is a Kokusan ignition which is used on most gas gas of that era so maybe that is what you have.

9 hours ago, rotors7 said:

I've drowned several Montesas over the years, the first one I pushed home and the next day emptied out what water was left in the crank case.

A new set of big end bearings swiftly followed my costly mistake.

Since then I've always had the bike immediately upside down, spark plug out and turned it over for several minutes,  then a quick strip of the float bowl.

You must've been in pretty deep to affect the upper electrics, hence my story. In theory the breather pipe should be the only way into the casing if that's the source of your troubles.

Trust me this was my first thought but I wasn’t too concerned as it was really only belly pan deep and more of a splash than anything, but I did obviously wet the filter so perhaps this should have been my reaction. 

• Like 1

tearing the whole thing apart wont help problem solving. For next time when you drown a bike (trials) carb off remove all water dont forget banjo if its a dellorto, dry out airbox and especially filter, tip upside down with plug out, as above, all back together check for spark and fire her up.

Get it lovely and hot to disapate any water remaining. (20 mins?) kicking over for 30 was probably not that helpful.

There seems no mention above of taking ignition cover off im assuming you did that first?

On 7/1/2021 at 10:50 PM, nigel dabster said:

tearing the whole thing apart wont help problem solving. For next time when you drown a bike (trials) carb off remove all water dont forget banjo if its a dellorto, dry out airbox and especially filter, tip upside down with plug out, as above, all back together check for spark and fire her up.

Get it lovely and hot to disapate any water remaining. (20 mins?) kicking over for 30 was probably not that helpful.

There seems no mention above of taking ignition cover off im assuming you did that first?

Unfortunately I wasn’t prepared to do this work in the bush and I was more than a few km from the truck and pushing it out wasn’t an option.I went though the carb as I noticed signs of water entering the air box, dried air box and expected it to fire up as I was able to get it running enough to flee the bugs and the Bush. When it didn’t start as per normal I began troubleshooting the lack of spark.  

Sorry yes I did remove the ignition cover and found a small amount of condensation, dried and cleaned but still no change.  

Edited by Dannydangles

On 7/1/2021 at 2:47 PM, Glayne said:

Sounds more like a carb that took on water than spark... but no spark? Do you have  anyone to swap a cdi with?⁸

I know someone with a 2011 300 but Trials bikes are pretty rare birds in my part of the world.

I'm also in Canada, just east of Vernon BC, where are you? There are a few trials bikes around, but the ones I know I can count on one hand. I'm really surprised that a skid plate level of water is causing you problems?  

I did a parts search, if your bike and or your friends bike is a 280 or 300 the cdi is the same, might be time to dish out a few beer! If you live near me my 2012 Raga cdi may also be the same?  And I like beer...

On 7/3/2021 at 6:36 PM, Dannydangles said:

Unfortunately I wasn’t prepared to do this work in the bush and I was more than a few km from the truck and pushing it out wasn’t an option.I went though the carb as I noticed signs of water entering the air box, dried air box and expected it to fire up as I was able to get it running enough to flee the bugs and the Bush. When it didn’t start as per normal I began troubleshooting the lack of spark.  

Sorry yes I did remove the ignition cover and found a small amount of condensation, dried and cleaned but still no change.  

If you dont want to walk you would need only a very few tools to facilitate sorting a drowned bike, or any other minor mishaps. I dont go out on a competion trial loop without basic tools let alone where I was considering an unknown depth water crossing "in the bush". Each to there own.......

On 7/6/2021 at 2:09 AM, nigel dabster said:

If you dont want to walk you would need only a very few tools to facilitate sorting a drowned bike, or any other minor mishaps. I dont go out on a competion trial loop without basic tools let alone where I was considering an unknown depth water crossing "in the bush". Each to there own.......

I came here seeking mechanical advice not fatherly but thank you