07 txt pro

Dannydangles

On 7/3/2021 at 3:17 PM, Glayne said:

I'm also in Canada, just east of Vernon BC, where are you? There are a few trials bikes around, but the ones I know I can count on one hand. I'm really surprised that a skid plate level of water is causing you problems?  

Hey sorry, been a busy couple of weeks.  I am in Revelstoke, so not far, I frequent you Knick of the woods hitting up Noble Canyon.  It’s an odd issue or unfortunate timing, I would have made a bigger deal out of the situation if I actually swamped it, I’ve swamped bikes before this was more of a splash.  Anyhow the only problem I see is I really like beer…..

On 7/11/2021 at 9:28 PM, Glayne said:

Have you made any progress?

I dove into it tonight now that I am back home, I was in Smithers when this happened.

If you kick the bike over on a centre stand there is visible spark, but no spark with a light kick.  I was even able to get it to fire once and it ran until the carb ran out of fuel.  But generally it will backfire, or fire once and sputter/ die.  

I rechecked the magnetic pickup, set the gap, rechecked the stator, etc etc.  Could not find a definitive problem all resistances seem normal, pickup seemed a bit low on AC voltage but I wasn’t spinning it with a drill.  

The only breakthrough moment was that I found who made the CDI, it didn’t seem stock to me and well its not.  https://www.hpi.be/appcategory.php?brand=Gas Gas&cat=cdi

I will be contacting them for advice but my current thoughts are the CDI or the regulator has failed as nothing glaringly obvious has shown up?

I agree the CDI seems incorrect, however it seems to run intermittently, seems strange that a like new bike with original tires has an aftermarket CDI. Do all the connections in the CDI feel intact?. How's the ground? or the spark plug cap? maybe cut a bit off the spark plug lead to freshen it up and get some dielectric grease on the grounds?

Noble Canyon is my go to, I live 100 metres from the bottom, bikes don't end up in the truck very often. However I hear your Revelstoke riding is phenomenal!

@Dannydangles My advice is what it is take it or leave it I really couldnt care less either way, but as you clearly havent a clue to critisise my trials experience based on riding events etc for 50 years as fatherlym, seems somewhat churlish. Certainly when I was starting out right up to last weekend I'm more than happy to accept any opinion/view/advice/experience from anyone in our community.

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 1:06 PM, nigel dabster said:

@Dannydangles My advice is what it is take it or leave it I really couldnt care less either way, but as you clearly havent a clue to critisise my trials experience based on riding events etc for 50 years as fatherlym, seems somewhat churlish. Certainly when I was starting out right up to last weekend I'm more than happy to accept any opinion/view/advice/experience from anyone in our community.

It's poor attitudes / manners like the op that is slowly killing trials central. Why bother to give them hard earned advice when they haven't the sense to accept it gracefully.

On 7/13/2021 at 7:38 AM, Glayne said:

I agree the CDI seems incorrect, however it seems to run intermittently, seems strange that a like new bike with original tires has an aftermarket CDI. Do all the connections in the CDI feel intact?. How's the ground? or the spark plug cap? maybe cut a bit off the spark plug lead to freshen it up and get some dielectric grease on the grounds?

Noble Canyon is my go to, I live 100 metres from the bottom, bikes don't end up in the truck very often. However I hear your Revelstoke riding is phenomenal!

The story was, and the previous owner is a stand up guy, that the ignition was replaced pro active to avoid the known issues with the Ducati.  Everything seems in tact with the CDI, ground is good and clean, I cut a bit off each end of the plug wire, checked the resistance at the spark plug cap etc etc.  The company HPI that sells the kit was also very helpful and we walked through a couple of  test.  In  the end they determined it best we ship the CDI and regulator back to Belgium (not what you want to hear in prime riding season.)  So the Husky 250 is going to get a few more miles in the mean time.

yes we have some great trails, just lacking in the mileage you have in Vernon.  Please contact me if you are coming up here for a ride! 

On 7/14/2021 at 5:06 AM, nigel dabster said:

I am not aware of who you are nor was I aware of your trials experience, just the same as you don’t know who I am and you don’t know my previous experience?  I do apologize for coming off rude, but if you were in my boots you would feel like you were being chided like a child?  I dove into troubleshooting as thats what I do for a career (although on heavy equipment) I was looking for assistance on the specifics of that particular ignition system as it seemed odd and did not look stock to me.

I don’t want to be a stain on the community as quoted above but there should be respect flowing in both directions then no? 

Sincere apologies and hopefully we can continue this discussion 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dannydangles said:

The story was, and the previous owner is a stand up guy, that the ignition was replaced pro active to avoid the known issues with the Ducati.  Everything seems in tact with the CDI, ground is good and clean, I cut a bit off each end of the plug wire, checked the resistance at the spark plug cap etc etc.  The company HPI that sells the kit was also very helpful and we walked through a couple of  test.  In  the end they determined it best we ship the CDI and regulator back to Belgium (not what you want to hear in prime riding season.)  So the Husky 250 is going to get a few more miles in the mean time.

yes we have some great trails, just lacking in the mileage you have in Vernon.  Please contact me if you are coming up here for a ride! 

Strange that the previous owner wouldn't keep the stock unit for spares and pass them along with the bike? However nice to see that HPI is providing customer service. Hope the shipping is speedy!

On 7/16/2021 at 2:17 PM, b40rt said:

It's poor attitudes / manners like the op that is slowly killing trials central. Why bother to give them hard earned advice when they haven't the sense to accept it gracefully.

That was my point, as much as anything we have all done the kick kick kick, but if experience has shown me anything when breaking down is to deal with one issue at a time.

Most of us would know that a flooded trials bike hasnt got a damaged cdi etc etc, at least not until everything obvious has been eliminated. Ive drowned my bikes maybe 5 or 6 times and each time I have got the bike upside down and plug out quicker than before.

Lastly whilst I always listen respectfully and carefully I wont always agree, and everyone has to live by there decisions. Pound to a pinch had the OP taken a few tools and sorted the initial issue im guessing he would have got his bike running sweet enough.

I'm always kean to learn from others; what is a recommended (I hate "best") way to recover from a drowned bike? I guess it also depends on the degree of "drowned".

Remove water from airbox and filter? Remove plug and invert bike to remove water from cylinder? Rotate :) bike to remove water from header and exhaust? Remove flywheel cover and dry components? But what do you do about the crank and to avoid a hydro-lock in the crankcase? It's not practical/safe to drain the oil. Hmmm. Similarly I guess you can't do much about water in the gas tank.

And I guess if/once :) you get home you replace the crank oil ASAP. I've heard of riders flushing the water out using diesel fuel.

So ... what causes the potential damage? Is it the water or the material/grit carried by the water? Either way, I'd imagine it's best to kill the engine as soon as possible to minimize what gets sucked in.

FYI, it's ironic for me to be asking for advice on how to recover from a drowned bike while right now here in southern British Columbia Canada we just got through with a 45C heat bubble and the hills are explosively dry. Out of respect/fear, we're all electing not to ride in the bush. At least once this is over the rocks will still be there. And future electric bikes may not provide the solution; fear of LIPO fires from a crash are starting to be voiced. I'm too old and fat to peddle. :(

Dale

Edited by d2w
  • Like 1