Knee braces

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there. I've worn a donjoy armour knee brace on my left leg following a trials crash ten years ago leading to me having ACL and MCL reconstruction. The brace is very effective at protecting ligaments but doesn't protect my knee cap or shin area. You can buy an add on guard which would do this but they are expensive and would still leave my right leg totally unprotected.

I recently planted my right knee and tibia on a rock and luckily escaped with mild swelling and bruising but it made me think about further protection. I don't want to be on an operating table again.

I don't compete anymore and simply ride for fun so not worried particularly about bulkiness. I've been looking at the Motocross knee braces as they also act as a knee cap and shin guard. I'm looking at buying a pair of mobius x8 knee braces. They have good reviews. Has anybody here used them or something similar ?

Hi,
I know a few people on here have posted about wearing CTi pro sport braces for riding trials and they give good reports.

I wear the K8 2.0 POD forged Carbon knee braces.  I regularly ride in temperatures above 35c and find once you get them adjusted and fitted right I am not really aware they are there, they did take a little acclimatisation though on the first few rides.  They are obviously a bit warmer than just knee pads but the payoff is great all around protection including safe guarding your ACL.  They are very light weight, I personally like how the knee protection was implemented on the K8 compared to the CTi pro sport.

Like the CTi pro braces the K8 are medically certified braces and can be adjusted and fine tuned for fit. There is also a K4 version which is a bit cheaper than the K8.

I have seen the Mobius X8 braces and I think that while they are a good brace with goed reviews, they are a little on the bulky side.

Here’s a picture of the fit on the K8 for reference.

POD.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Primodious said:

Hi,
I know a few people on here have posted about wearing CTi pro sport braces for riding trials and they give good reports.

I wear the K8 2.0 POD forged Carbon knee braces.  I regularly ride in temperatures above 35c and find once you get them adjusted and fitted right I am not really aware they are there, they did take a little acclimatisation though on the first few rides.  They are obviously a bit warmer than just knee pads but the payoff is great all around protection including safe guarding your ACL.  They are very light weight, I personally like how the knee protection was implemented on the K8 compared to the CTi pro sport.

Like the CTi pro braces the K8 are medically certified braces and can be adjusted and fine tuned for fit. There is also a K4 version which is a bit cheaper than the K8.

I have seen the Mobius X8 braces and I think that while they are a good brace with goed reviews, they are a little on the bulky side.

Here’s a picture of the fit on the K8 for reference.

POD.jpg

Thanks for replying. Yes the pod k8 braces look a good bit of kit. I decided to order the mobius x8 in the end. Managed to get them for £373 so pleased with the price. I'm hoping they do the job. What persuaded me to buy them was the wire system which tightens the brace behind the patella. Very unique as most braces only attach above and below the knee cap with straps. Time will tell how they perform.

That`s a great price, and braces have come a long way! I paid $3000.00 for my pair of CTI`s in 1995. Which was a lot out of pocket back then. But being I still use them every,time I ride they have out lasted a dozen new bikes and as many pair of boots. I have resorted to buying old braces on Ebay for spare parts. I feel totally naked without them when riding. Well worth buying a pair, to keep you riding for many years to come.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Coming from enduro and motocross recently I have tried different types of braces and protection for your knees.  I snapped my right ACL on a forest ride before coming to trials and on that occasion I was wearing knee protectors (EVS Epic).  Since then I purchase a pair of EVS Axis - very similar to your K8 braces gazza.  These have saved over extension on my knees multiple times and I have used them to ride the Canning Stock Route and across the Simpson Desert.  Here is the funny part - when I started riding trials earlier this year I found the braces were pretty restrictive and have now reverted back to the Epics (wear them outside the trousers).  I am thinking it is because I haven't got round to fully realising how to ride a trials bike but I am having a ball learning.  I am amazed at how little protection is worn by trials riders - I am guessing the better you get the less protection you need

kneebrace 1.jpg

kneebrace2.jpg