1977 TL125 Speedometer drive gear

MrWeedster

Hi.

I'm in the progress of getting an old TL125S back to the street and make it street legal.

I got everything working so far, except the tachometer, because i'm missing the gear in the front wheel hub (part no 44804-355-003). This gear seems to be impossible to find, no one can get it. I tried to fit one of a XL125, but thats too large to fit.

Now i'm curious if theres another alternative that's fitting, maybe from another honda. I don't want to use another tachometer or make any dirty hacks, but thats an option if anything else fails. Any good advice on alternatives?

Thanks in advantage

Simple and cheap way to get back on the road is to use a cycle speedo kit, you just measure the outside dia. of wheel and input length into unit. this keeps you going until you find one.. In the meantime, send photo of hub and dia. of spigot that gear goes onto, will look in my junk box?? also look up david silver spares, he keeps lots of classic bits. all the best.

• 4 weeks later...

Took a while longer then expected.

I tried a cycle speed already, but it shows more or less random numbers instead of real speed. I adjusted the wheel size in the computer accordingly, but it won't stop to jump around and show random numbers.

However i bought a ripped XL125S as spare and took the whole front wheel for my TL. It has the speedo gear and it's working. I used the brake cables and speedo cable of the XL125s to make it a good fit. However, the speedo cable is way too long, but i plan to use it only for the check to make it road legal. If i pass i drop back my TL wheel in. I don't care about speed anyway, because top speed is around 60km/h.

hub_inside.jpg

hub_outside.jpg

hub_detail.jpg

hub_inner.jpg

So i received my parcel from australia today.

For ppl looking for that speedo gear in the future: The one from the CT125 fits, it has the same front hub as the TL125, you can replace it straight with the one from the CT125

• 6 months later...