2015 Evo factory rear shock

evo boy

I don't know the changes over the years, however I am interested (if you don't mind) to learn a bit more about your thinking.  My missus has a 2014 bike (not the factory).  She is OK with it but I find the rear shock a bit poor.  I have looked at the Ohlins as a replacement.  My understanding is the Factory still has the same Sachs unit.  Would it not be better to fit an aftermarket shock?  The Reiger is good (have one on my TRS).

the 2017 factory onwards has a longer shock and different length linkage to acount for the longer shock  

2018 factory shock onwards changed to an Olle R16v shock  

Ohlins make both length shocks  

9 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

I don't know the changes over the years, however I am interested (if you don't mind) to learn a bit more about your thinking.  My missus has a 2014 bike (not the factory).  She is OK with it but I find the rear shock a bit poor.  I have looked at the Ohlins as a replacement.  My understanding is the Factory still has the same Sachs unit.  Would it not be better to fit an aftermarket shock?  The Reiger is good (have one on my TRS).

Your right ChrisCH the standard rear shocks are rubbish and all the early models except the 2013 factory use the same rubbish. I was looking at a ohlins but most people have them for there newer Evo and have been told the newer ones won't fit.

6 hours ago, MIckyT said:

the 2017 factory onwards has a longer shock and different length linkage to acount for the longer shock  

2018 factory shock onwards changed to an Olle R16v shock  

Ohlins make both length shocks  

Thanks MlckyT so it's a longer linkage I was told the shock was 10mm longer and wondered if it would still fit but I guess not.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, evo boy said:

Your right ChrisCH the standard rear shocks are rubbish and all the early models except the 2013 factory use the same rubbish. I was looking at a ohlins but most people have them for there newer Evo and have been told the newer ones won't fit.

Splat shop list the Ohlins (six hundred quid 😵 ) and the drop down menu (to select bike) splits out the Evo post 2017 models as having the longer shock.  So I guess yours and mine are the "old" length.

I might upgrade next year - will have to see how things pan out.  Secondhand bikes are stupid money now and it is a much more difficult decision whether to spend on an old bike or to trade in and buy a newer one.  I have just replaced the front brake master cylinder with the braktec one and that has improved the bike and got rid of one of my main complaints.  (I saw the new Factory has this m/c)  The bike runs well and the wife loves it so the present strategy is gradual budget-permitting improvement rather than bike replacement.

17 hours ago, evo boy said:

Thanks MlckyT so it's a longer linkage I was told the shock was 10mm longer and wondered if it would still fit but I guess not.

I think longer (factory 2017 0nwards)  shock is aprox  285mm standard is  275mm but linkage is different lengths with the longer shock 

10 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

Splat shop list the Ohlins (six hundred quid 😵 ) and the drop down menu (to select bike) splits out the Evo post 2017 models as having the longer shock.  So I guess yours and mine are the "old" length.

I might upgrade next year - will have to see how things pan out.  Secondhand bikes are stupid money now and it is a much more difficult decision whether to spend on an old bike or to trade in and buy a newer one.  I have just replaced the front brake master cylinder with the braktec one and that has improved the bike and got rid of one of my main complaints.  (I saw the new Factory has this m/c)  The bike runs well and the wife loves it so the present strategy is gradual budget-permitting improvement rather than bike replacement.

Yes I think your right. I like my 2015 factory and don't see any point of getting a newer one. I'd just be like all the other beta riders 🙂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MIckyT said:

I think longer (factory 2017 0nwards)  shock is aprox  285mm standard is  275mm but linkage is different lengths with the longer shock 

Yes that's what I've found out OK thank you for your help. 

• Like 1