Oil/fuel ratio and type of fuel questions for 2020 280

PAULIE

the decal on the bike says "Unleaded 2%" ( which = 50:1 )

7-7-2021-10-33-37-PM.jpg

but the manual says use 98 octane at 67:1 (and a "Jaso FD" classification type)

7-7-2021-10-31-32-PM.jpg

think there would be any issues running this VP fuel?  I cannot obtain the called out Motorex fuel near me. 

7-7-2021-10-27-25-PM.jpg

7-7-2021-10-28-02-PM.jpg

TIA

Edited by PAULIE

6 hours ago, PAULIE said:

the decal on the bike says "Unleaded 2%" ( which = 50:1 )

7-7-2021-10-33-37-PM.jpg

but the manual says use 98 octane at 67:1 (and a "Jaso FD" classification type)

7-7-2021-10-31-32-PM.jpg

think there would be any issues running this VP fuel?  I cannot obtain the called out Motorex fuel near me. 

7-7-2021-10-27-25-PM.jpg

7-7-2021-10-28-02-PM.jpg

TIA

67:1 is a good starting point. Don't think anyone runs 50:1 these days. Any good decent 2T competition oil is sufficient, doesn't need to be Motorex

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

+2 on the maxima super m. Mixing at 1.5 oz to gallon out of being an easier to calculate. I have not run 50 to 1 since 1986 on my ty350. The original Gas Gas guys suggested 100 to 1 as the bike would gum up at 50. I figured to meet in the middle.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Some pics (I see now the trans oil looks low but it's due to the incline!)

IMG-8539.jpg

IMG-8541.jpg

IMG-8542.jpg

While checking the carb and cleaning the airbox & filter I noticed this reed valve at the bottom of the box to release any water that gets in there - pretty trick!

IMG-8434.jpg

Edited by PAULIE
  • Like 1

Good looking bike! Looks like you are riding it on a golf course! Should look good forever! I have a similar reed valve looking thing on my 2012, after looking at yours I think mine needs to be replaced.

• Like 1

That far too much money for the quart.  I buy Sunoco 110 leaded  5 gallons for $65.00.   You do not need that stuff though.   Try to find a gas station that sells non ethanol gas. use that. If you have troubles finding non ethanol gas- use the phone book- look up a chain saw-small engine repair shop--  they will know--  If you go to a saw shop--  ask to see some pistons they have removed from 2 cycle engines that had phase seperated ethanol ran tru them--  they look like someone took a grinder to them. --   you have a great looking mount there - hate to see the bike get wasted from a bad load of junk gas--

Yes, buy non ethanol if convenient. For me in Canada it is not super convenient, many 2 stroke oils seem to stabilize the ethanol well, and if you use the fuel it works well. I find the problem is longer term non usage... obviously...Just ride 4 times a week!

Edited by Glayne