Boots for big calves

Grumpydad111

Hi all. Enduro rider giving trials a go. I have large calves and can't find boots to fit. I'm a size 9 shoe, so a 10 boot. Just tried Gaerne Pro Balance, size 10 and 11(UK sizes) can't close the boots. I can get the straps closed, but theres the gap between the buckle side and strap side. Also very tight around the top with on half the velcro on.

I'm not competing, just social play riding. Any ankle high boots I could use? Any recommendations welcomes. Thanks.

I am exactly the same! Forma Boulder & Alpine Star TechT have been the best but they still don't close perfectly. I just live with it. I would not recommend wearing ankle boots at all, no protection. Don't get me started on the sizing of clothing!

Hi,

To be honest my calves are much smaller that yours, so it's difficult to know if they will fit you.

When I try them on and adjust the straps to the widest fitting, I am able to get a clenched fist down the inside of the boot along with my 14 inch calves.

It's a shame you don't know anybody close to you with similar boots that you could try on.

If you PM me your direct email address, I can send you some photo's if that helps ?

Don't prat about with so called PUKKA trials boots, sizes and quality seem to be rubbish. Make the trip to North Yorkshire & get measured up at Alt-Berg in Richmond. Suppose that depends on where you are in Scotland.

I met up with some Police bikers in the mid '90's, they all had dry feet 'cos they had Alt-Berg boots. Myself & the missus got measured, similar problems to you, & have had dry feet ever since. I chose the sole stiffness to suit me standing on footrests.

I gave mine hell for 16 years before they let water in, Alt-Berg fitted new welt & sole at reasonable cost & I still have dry feet in 2021.

Push the boat out, you won't be disappointed.

Beware the hole at the top, it will let water in.

They do Sympetex (think that's how it's spelt)  membranes which are equally as good as Gore Tex in my experience.

Dick.

51 minutes ago, dick said:

Don't prat about with so called PUKKA trials boots, sizes and quality seem to be rubbish. Make the trip to North Yorkshire & get measured up at Alt-Berg in Richmond. Suppose that depends on where you are in Scotland.

I met up with some Police bikers in the mid '90's, they all had dry feet 'cos they had Alt-Berg boots. Myself & the missus got measured, similar problems to you, & have had dry feet ever since. I chose the sole stiffness to suit me standing on footrests.

I gave mine hell for 16 years before they let water in, Alt-Berg fitted new welt & sole at reasonable cost & I still have dry feet in 2021.

Push the boat out, you won't be disappointed.

Beware the hole at the top, it will let water in.

They do Sympetex (think that's how it's spelt)  membranes which are equally as good as Gore Tex in my experience.

Dick.

I had incredible pain one day in London while walking, swung by The Cut to the army surplus and grabbed some Alt Berg army boots in okay condition. Heavy but saved me from further injury. Quality of manufacture was clear.

My instructor had to send back his first pair of AltBerg MC boots because they were ill-fitting. He loves the pair that fitted, but says they are very hard/stiff.

I’d love a pair of proper MC boots, but like you say - better to go up there and get measured properly to avoid costly returns. 

• 2 weeks later...