Boots for big calves

Grumpydad111

1 hour ago, Grumpydad111 said:

Forma Boulder are no go. If I go up 2 sizes, the foot is loose and the hole size is not much different.

Next stop is Adventure boots. 2 buckles, below to calves. 

Alt-Bergs are to pricey for me just now.

IMG_20210724_075744.jpg

Try on some AlpineStars Corozal if you can find them.

the toebox is relatively small on them, so you may find they are tolerable overall once you go up half a size. 

So the Corozal are 13” tall internally, closed here with a little bit of velcro to spare, 17”. These are size 43 EU. Like I said, these are tight in the toe box. I would prefer minimum EU44 like normal. You should try these in EU44 or EU45 possibly with an insole to take up the space if needed.

If these are 17”, you may squeeze up to 19” with a EU45. 

E0B3D89A-68ED-4397-B12A-97A6F21DEE1B.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Grumpydad111 said:

Thanks for the info. My calves are 19"and I usually take a EU 44 or 45. I just measured, bare foot on the floor, 13" goes to the thickest part of my calf.

I'll definitely have a look.

Cool. Good luck.

On formal shoes I fit EU43 with thin socks, or with a thinner insole. My feet are a little wider at the toes with a fairly high arch, so I usually go to 43.5 whenever available. Some 44’s have felt a bit loose overall, so depends on the cut.

On the road bike I am wearing RST Tractech Evo’s in 44 which give a tiny bit of room for thicker socks, but tighter on the calf. In general 45’s are just too baggy for me, but 44’s are okay.

I got the Corozal’s on sale in a shop, only 43 left, so ripped out the thicker insole and put a thin leather one in instead. They are a tight fit on the arch/toe, not uncomfortable, but if I was paying close to rrp I’d have bought in 44. Definitely try them in 45 if you can.

Also, as far as protection, I use them on green lanes and they’ve saved my leg a number of times. Had a few mishaps and protection was adequate. I even launched myself over some ruts into a bush a couple weekend ago, and the DR350 was pinning me to the ground. Didn’t even notice thanks to the strength of the sole and toebox.