Epoxy Volume

199 Enduro

1 hour ago, 199 Enduro said:

I have a small crack on the side of the tank.

I hope you are talking about a fibreglass tank and not the plastic tank that originally came on 199s. Epoxy will not stick well to the plastic tank

22 hours ago, feetupfun said:

I hope you are talking about a fibreglass tank and not the plastic tank that originally came on 199s. Epoxy will not stick well to the plastic tank

The very first batch of  198 & 199 came with Fibreglass Tanks.

I had one on my very first Sherpa, which I recently found buried in our shed and have started to restore it.

Edited by model80

1 hour ago, model80 said:

The very first batch of  198 & 199 came with Fibreglass Tanks.

I had one on my very first Sherpa, which I recently found buried in our shed and have started to restore it.

My "original" is intended to mean the tank that came on the bike, not the first type of tank (fibreglass) fitted to model 198 and 199. Many 198 and 199 I know of have aftermarket fibreglass tanks that replaced their original plastic tanks that fell apart. I'm hoping that 199 Enduro has a fibreglass tank of some sort on their 199 and not plastic or aluminium, or the advice about epoxy lining it may cause a lot of problems

Inmotion have new tanks.

I guess the tank toolings are from the days before proper markings https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code so you won´t find them, but I am quite sure they are made of HDPE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-density_polyethylene. You can´t glue or weld the crack but must replace the tank and they are not very expensive.

Any tank should be mounted flexible (rubber) on the frame othervise vibrations can make it crack again.

A as far as I know any 5sp 199/199A Sherpa has 3 trials gear and 2 transport gears and an unplesant step between 4th and 5th gear, also has a small uncomfortable saddle and that may not be the best for trail riding.

A Sherpa is made for trials competition and not for trail riding. I case of that I think an Alpina would be one better choice.