re-packing a TXT Pro Silencer

PAULIE

I've got a low hours on the existing OEM fiberglass type packing but in the quest to make it as quiet as possible I purchased some "Long strand/Loose fill" material to try out. It looks just like the Jitsie product if you are familiar with it.

http://areapnolimits.com/products/Muffler-Packing.php

Makes sense to me...

7-13-2021-10-33-38-PM.jpg

7-13-2021-10-35-19-PM.jpg

This info was very helpful because the G-G core is wrapped with a mesh

7-13-2021-10-35-54-PM.jpg

Pic of the original packing material

IMG-8576.jpg

and the mesh wrapped around the core

IMG-8574-1.jpg

removed it (but saved it JIC)

IMG-8577.jpg

The challenge here is that the modern end cap is very long unlike a typical mx/enduro silencer and the older GG's

IMG-8579.jpg

Went with the "stuff it" method for the lower section

IMG-8578.jpg

IMG-8580.jpg

IMG-8581.jpg

Since the end cap and main body cant be stuffed at the same time this end section of the core is wrapped in typical fashion. Getting the very slim end cap on without bunching up the material and THEN getting the core to slide over the outer tip is the hardest part of the job. If the core is off kilter even a few mm's the core and tip wont engage. I had to take all the packing out and rotate the core 180 to get the alignment right :(

IMG-8583.jpg

With some gentle prodding and it went together on the second try. It's too late now but with all of this loosely packed, sound absorbing material inside Im excited to test it out!

IMG-8586.jpg

Edited by PAULIE
  • Like 3

Ever since they went to the plastic end cap the exhaust has been a PITA  to pack since the split is halfway down the silencer. Personally i prefer the stuff that comes in the mat (i use stuff that is a looser mat than the oem stuff), but good post nonetheless 👍 ill have to try mine without the wrapped mesh next time

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

Looks good, love a quiet bike, packing looks a whole lot like FMF packing I have used in the past. Last package of FMF packing I bought was different though. I hope they don't even know where you are riding!

• Like 1

Thanks

Me too!

In retrospect I think it might be easier to stuff the end cap section and then wrap the core that goes into the main body. Oh well, next time! :)

Also replaced the flimsy and hard to grip plastic idle speed screw adjuster and the air screw too

IMG-8596.jpg

and the plastic throttle tube with an aluminium Apico tube. Some $ here but it is super smooth and should last a long time

7-14-2021-2-06-54-PM.jpg

IMG-8598.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. Has anyone tried to use the cellulose (I think) type of house-wall type of blow-in insulation material as a muffler packing material? It certainly is low cost (which would promote frequent replacement).