Oset 20r repair or sell

Wondering if anyone can help me. My son has had a oset 20r for a couple of years now which we got second hand, 6 months ago he has blown the motor ( Burning type smell and smoke coming from it) We have been unsure about getting it fixed because of the cost of the new motor. Would this be sellable without been repaired and anyone got any idea of price that we could sell for . It worked fine before this happened and my son has had a growth spurt so no longer any good. It also has the boost battery. Cheers 

Edited by Craignanson
Extra information

I am sure you could sell it on eBay.  If you go the auction route it will sell for what is worth, but what that is really depends on who wants it.  What is is worth to you?  Make that the reserve price.

Just be 100% honest and if possible give an accurate price for a new motor in the description.  I can't really see what the alternative is other than fit a new motor then sell it.  At that point it is "worth" the average price of a secondhand bike and you will have that much money less the repair cost.  I'll stick my neck out and make a fairly safe bet that will be a smaller number than the one you get selling it as it is now.  (The eBay fees might level the two numbers up if you can be bothered to sell the repaired bike through some other route)

I lot of people enjoy repairing stuff.  I am not one of those people.

It is a brushed motor and might only need new brushes. Brushed motors and the brushes they use are usually "universal" so maybe an electric motor repair shop could replace them. 

For $100 you might be able to turn a $500 dead bike into a $2000 running bike 

Edited by PAULIE